Monday, May 17, 2010

Kindle vs. Nook

The great debate. I am really not a gadget person. At least I don't think so. It usually takes me awhile to figure out what the new thing is and what its purpose is. I saw the Nook about a year ago at Christmas, they were selling it a Barnes and Noble. I was curious but that was about it.

Then a couple of weeks ago, my sister and I started discussing the Kindle and the Nook and she shared some really interesting info with me, such as both can hold up to 1500 books! And, a lot of classics are FREE. Well, those two pieces of information got me real curious.

So, one night last week, the kids and I got on the computer and watched a tutorial about the Kindle. Oh my word, it was so cool. It had me sold. It was thin and the screen supposedly is more like a book page. It has a built in dictionary. It takes seconds to download any number of the hundreds and hundreds of books now available. And they are cheaper or free.

We picked out some names of books to look up. And, a lot of our school books were FREE! I was sold. I went to bed thinking about owning a Kindle. But, as with many things, the more I thought about it, the more I realized, for now, how impractical is was.

I love books. I love having books lining my bookshelves. I love seeing books that I have read and books that I want to read. We have school books, reference books, read aloud books, free read books, classics, New York best sellers, a set of 1976 encyclopedias and even some duds. We have Cat in the Hat books and classics that are 2 inches thick.

I like that the kids can go in the school room and look through the books and choose whatever they feel like reading (or looking at.) Even some of the books that might not be suitable for them right now, I want them to read someday.

So, as much as I want the Kindle (or the Nook), I think I will just stick with the old fashion way of reading. It suits our purpose a little better, for now . . .

3 comments:

Katie said...

I love the way books look, the way they feel, and like you said -- the way they line my bookshelves.
I ALWAYS judge a book by it's cover :)

I can appreciate the convenience and cost savings of the electronic versions.... but I hope I don't get one anytime soon!

Ann said...

I think, ideally, I would like both! Talk about a glutton!

Diane Moody said...

I agree. Might be fun to have one. Especially for free access to all the old classics. But I could never give up the joy of holding a real book in my hands. Which is why all the chatter about the future going electronic as far as publishing, makes me kinda quake in my boots . . . call me old fashioned!