Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Garden


For the last several years we (my hubby) have been novice gardeners. We haven't had all that much luck. Last year, or maybe it was the year before we grew beans (or peas) and I am sure a few other things but the beans (peas) were horrible. Even I didn't like them. And I really wanted to!

About 2 years ago we got a composter and that has been great getting us some really wonderful soil to use. And, in my opinion, it seems to have made a difference. On Sunday, hubby "harvested" three head of cauliflower. They looked great! We have about three more to go. He wants them to get a little bigger but you have to be careful they don't get yellowed by the sun. Our neighbor said the yellowing really doesn't have an effect on taste though.

The heads of the cauliflower are all tucked in the big leaves, protecting them from the sun. When the heads are big enough and the leaves start to peel away from the head, they are ready to be harvested.

Yesterday afternoon I spent some time learning how to blanch and freeze cauliflower. In all honesty, it is easy but kind of time consuming. And I had to dirty a lot of pots. All for two servings. (One head per meal, with leftovers for lunch.) We roasted one head last night for dinner. And if I do say so myself, it tasted pretty darn good! The kids, for the most part, liked it. I think it helped that "we" grew it.

I think we have onions, red potatoes and eggplant. Next is zucchini and gourds (for bird houses and water ladles.) I would like a couple of blueberry bushes so the kids can just pick their snack right off the bushes! They also want a peach tree. I thought about an avecado tree but Paul says they are too big. Or maybe an orange tree? Maybe bananas? (I told LM we would have to research that one) And I don't think apple trees grow here. I could be mistaken. I would like, though, to do strawberries and cantaloupe.

After we "harvest" the onions, potatoes and eggplant, we are going to double the size of the garden. Hubby has already started that by making it a mini composting area. If that all goes well, and I become truly involved in this, I would like to see a larger part of our backyard turned into a garden. We have plenty of room. Nowadays, they have contraptions to hang and grow things so we could make the most of the room we have. I just know it would take a lot of work on every one's part.

But, I think it would be neat to freeze and can what we grow. Now, if we could only get the city to give us permission to have cows, pigs and chickens, we might be able to be a self sustaining compound, with homeschooling and all! Never have to go anywhere! That is a joke, of course! But, I am tickled to be growing a decent amount of veggies and then maybe some fruit . . .

1 comment:

Katie said...

I'm impressed that your children eat cauliflower!