Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Fabulous

That is what the second day was. We started out with a fabulous breakfast cooked by our friends. Pancakes, eggs, bacon and sausage. It is great to eat a big ole breakfast outside in the cool air. It just makes you want to eat more.



The boys had to do a little skating after breakfast.


Our plan for the morning was to do a little hiking along the stream and up a little ways to the falls. We gathered all the provisions a hiker would need, such as water and craisens, rice cakes and Slim Jims. And of course, comfortable shoes. And, babies, in backpacks of course. (Hubby did great hauling EG everywhere.)

We started out at the visitors center where we gathered a little information and an Amicolola State Park sticker to put on the back of a camper and, of course, a book, native flowers in north Georgia I believe. Then we set off on our hike.


It was an absolutely perfect day for our adventure. Sun was shining and it was cool. The first thing we came upon was a stream, which I believe was fed by the falls. Mrs. K thought it would be great fun to let all the kids take off their shoes and wade in the freezing cold water. Then, she took off her shoes, too. All of this activity was way out of my comfort zone. I just kept thinking, wonder if someone got wet, or worse, fell in!



But, as you can see, all the kids had big fun. And, yes, they got there pants wet. But you know, it was OK! They had a blast and climbed a little way up the stream and onto a rock. Even daddy and EG got in on the actions.



And, so did I!! Oh boy, was it cold! But very fun! Thanks Mrs. K for encouraging crazy behavior, on my part!!



The little stream was just the beginning. As we found out, the trail we were on was an approach trail to the actual Appalachian Trial. That was kind of cool. Although we were not really on the AT itself, we were kind of part of it. Probably as close as I will ever get! (It is my understanding approach trails don't count towards the actual mileage of the trail itself. But, it was still pretty cool all the same.)

Our goal at the beginning was just to go a mile or so. And it was a steep and winding climb up a dirt trail, swerving around trees and rocks and roots. But, as we got close to the end of the dirt trail we came upon stairs that lead us a little further up the falls, to a bridge that kind of crossed in front of the falls. 175 steps if I remember correctly. We hemmed and hawed and debated if we wanted to continue. I left it up to hubby because he was carrying EG on his back. But, after a nice break of water, Slim Jims, craisens, rice cakes and granola bars, we decided to continue our adventure up the falls.




And, as you can see from the pictures, it was so worth the extra effort! I am getting chills right now just remembering how I felt looking up and seeing those majestic falls. The water just cascading down. It was incredible. I couldn't stop staring and smiling. Not to mention, feeling so accomplished in just pushing to go a little bit farther. So, so worth it! Of course, we still had to get back down! But, we took our time and took a few more pictures.



At the end we all felt like EG, well, I know hubby and I did. The kids seemed to have energy to burn!


I am guessing when we got back to the campsite and had lunch, the boys decided to throw the ball around a little bit. At least I think it was Saturday when they did that.

Mrs. K did a great job of having fun stuff for the kids to do. They had a scavenger hunt and made little people out of the stuff they found. They made a birthday sign out of nature for JD. And, she painted the kids' faces.


The afternoon was pretty peaceful. The men went to find more firewood with the little guys. And the big girls just played. I think this is the afternoon that when I tried to put EG down for a late nap, in the camper, by herself, she managed to get out of her pack and play and lock herself in the camper. My friend and I were sitting by the camper when I heard a knocking sound from inside. I paused for a moment and then realized it had to be her, at the door. When I went to open the door it was locked. Truly by the grace of God, the keys happened to be on the outside.

I unlocked it and sure enough, there she was, just standing there. My friend's 8 year old, figured out how she got out. The pack and play was kind of pushed up against the couch. She must have stepped on the couch and kind of pulled herself up. My little Hudini!

Later that afternoon, we took a ride to a small town near by. Just to check it out. After our little tour we went back to the campsite and had a fabulous dinner of pulled pork, which had been smoked all day long. We also had a little birthday party for my friend's son (who is Boop's best friend.)

Again, I was in bed very early, well 10ish. I was tired. I am not use to all that activity and fresh air! The day was fabulous as the pictures show. Such a great, great day . . .

1 comment:

MollyMcFarland said...

Great job on the recap. Sounds so fun! I love the pic of da boo bear asleep on daddy's back.