Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Spectacular . . .






is just one word I would use to describe the past four days. As I was contemplating how on earth I would chronicle the last four days and do it justice, my friend, who we went camping with, suggested I break down my post into days. So, that is what I am going to do.

The next few post will be totally for memory purposes. So, when hubby and I are old and gray and the kids have families of their own, they can look back at the pictures and words and hopefully remember what a spectacular time we had.

So, here we go.

Day One
We were actually in the van and truck ready to go a few minutes past 5AM. We had a seven hour drive ahead of us. As we headed out of the neighborhood we realized daddy had not gotten the sway bar. (Keeps the camper from swaying back and forth on the road.) So, it took us a few minutes to locate it. By the time we actually got on the road, it was a little before six. But, we were all OK with that.

Driving in the dark, on country back roads, leading out of town, making sure daddy was behind me was kind of stressful. But, I had no idea what stressful was until we hit Atlanta. Trying to find our way and making sure hubby was behind me so he wouldn't get lost, while cars were flying by and not letting him make lane changes, was really, really stressful. He lost a few of the remaining hairs he has left on his head.

But, all in all, we did really great. Taking our time and enjoying the change in scenery (and temperature). We really had no idea where we were going and what to expect. I honestly thought we were going to be staying at the base of a mountain range. But, when we got to the state park, I soon realized that we were going up, up, up.

When we got to the state park, the grade to get up to the lodge was 25%, which I am pretty sure is steep. Any hair hubby had left, was gone! We later found out that the couple across from us needed to be towed up because of traction problems and wetness on the road. Anyway, I had to check in at the lodge and the view from there was spectacular. A big picture window overlooked the mountain valley. It seemed like you could see for miles.

Oh, but it was worth it! We were able to get campsites together with our friends. And the sites were spectacular. They had a fire pit and picnic table and they were kind of terraced into the mountain side. Trees everywhere. In between the sites was a green area for the kids to play soccer on and collect nature "stuff." There was also a big green field within eye sight for them to play on. In front of our site was a paved road so the boys could ride their skateboards (which each got for their birthdays) and for all the kids to ride their scooters on. The big boys even tossed around the baseball!

The first thing we did was set up and then went to explore. The campground was Amicolola Falls State Park. So, the first thing we did was to check out the falls. Well, maybe we ate lunch first. (We did so much adventuring, my time table might be a little off!!) Anyway, we checked out the very tip top of the falls, which, by the way, is the highest waterfall in the state of Georgia. The view was spectacular. (My pictures do not do it justice.) And, the sound of the falls were amazing. So relaxing. We walked around a little bit and sat by the mountain stream.

We went back to the campsite, built a fire and got ready for dinner. We split dinners and breakfasts. So, we did Friday nights dinner, hubby's delicious chili. What an appropriate camping meal, as far as I am concerned! We all hung around the fire and talked and ate while the kids played. I would say the hardest part was keeping the little girls from the road and/or making sure they didn't roll down the hill or put a hand in the fire! All the kids played so well together!

I know I am missing stuff. But, I am just trying to write down the highlights. Each day was just so spectacular. Sights never seen. Adventures never taken before. It all was just so amazing. As my friend alluded to, it is hard to deny there is a God when surrounded by so much beauty. Much more about our adventure tomorrow. Day two . . .

2 comments:

MollyMcFarland said...

Yay you are back and blogging again. I like the break down of the long weekend.

Katie said...

Sounds like a trip to remember. Looking forward to all the details and pictures.