Sunday, October 10, 2010

Incredible

I didn't have many requests for our camping trip. But, one thing I wanted to try to do was pick apples with the kids. We have gotten plenty of apples recently and have a lot of fun eating and baking with them. So, I thought it would be fun to get our own. What we got was sooooo much more than just an ordinary apple orchard.

The first thing we did was to get a seat to see a pig race. I mean, really, how can you miss a pig race? We lined up along the fence just waiting for the contest to begin. The anticipation growing. Six pigs in all raced, at least I think so. It was over in a blink of an eye, but the kids got a kick out of it.



There was a playground and zip line. And a big huge slide going down the side of a hill. There was also bungee jumping, which Nature Girl really wanted to do. But, it cost extra money, in addition to what it cost just to get in and enjoy all the other activities. She had to pass on that one and was a little disappointed.




I don't have a picture of it, but we learned a little bit about honey bees. And, got to taste a couple different types of honey. Honey gathered locally can actually be used to help fight allergies. That was kind of cool.

Finally, after doing most of the other "free" activities that the apple orchard offered, we went to pick apples. They grew all kinds of apples: red delicious, granny smith, mustus and rome just to name a few. I believe we got at least a couple from each type of tree. The kids really wanted granny smiths so we have mostly those.




I think they had fun. I had fun! They next thing on our apple orchard adventure was to milk a cow. Each kid got a chance to do it. Just one little pull. NG said it felt like an old man's finger. Still trying to figure that one out. Anyway, I don't think they honestly believe that is where milk comes from.


They had live music. So hubby and EG took a break and listened for a little while, while my friend and I took the bigger kids on the jumpy pillow. (He got the better end of that deal.) ;)


Of course, the kids thought the jumpy pillow was a hoot.


Having never been to an apple orchard before, at least not that I can remember, this one takes the cake! There was soooo much to do and see. We didn't even do it all. They had a Moonshine Museum and a place where you could buy all kinds of apple desserts and snacks. Hubby did buy a potato ribbon, which was a big long ribbon of fried potato. We all had a taste.

I think we were there until mid-afternoon. We hadn't even had lunch, but the kids didn't seem to care. We were pretty tuckered out and went back to the campsite after that. To eat and rest. But, the adventure continues. Gonna have to wait until tomorrow to get the "rest of the story" . . .

1 comment:

Katie said...

I remember apple picking at orchards when I was a little girl. They used to just be apple orchards then, maybe you could "sled" down a hill on a cardboard box.

Now, though, the apple orchards have animals and slides and all kinds of awesome things.
Our children are so lucky!