Monday, October 11, 2010

The Last Adventure, But, Certainly Not the Least

This is the adventure we almost didn't take. And, that would have been a shame. The highest point in Georgia was a little over an hour from where we were camping. And, by the time we got home from the apple orchard and pumpkin patch, we were tired families. And, then to make the decision even harder, the trolley that would to take us to the top, closed at 5. And it was already 3:30 and we were just finishing up lunch.

If we didn't make it there by 5, we would have to drive most of the way up the mountain and then hike the last half mile or so. The families got together and decided to make a go of it!

The roads to get to this place were incredible. Winding around mountains, going up and down two lane roads. At one point, I said to hubby "If you love me you will put both hands on the wheel and SLOW DOWN." He obliged as best he could. NG got a little carsick and I couldn't blame her. The other kids enjoyed the scenery. And there was lots of fantastic scenery!

The picture below is from the parking lot of the state park of the highest mountain in Georgia. It was practically deserted. We got out of the cars and it was very cold and very windy! My friend's hubby was afraid a storm was coming because of the wind and dark clouds (he has done some hiking before). He mentioned we might not be able to "make our climb." By that time, I was so excited and really ready to go, I told him I didn't come all that way, through the crazy, scenic roads not to make it to the top. We were hiking if I had anything to say about it! I made a mental note that I had extra food, just to be on the safe side. :)



The men had baby duty. I felt for them. It was a steep incline and there was a warning that it was a strenuous hike. The kids, of course, had no problem whatsoever. And, would run up a little ways and then run back. At one point, we had to tell them to wait up!




As we were sitting, resting, a young couple (who didn't speak much English) were on their way back down. We asked them how much further, they just kind of laughed and said something like "3 minutes." I began to wonder, just a little bit, what I had gotten into.

The different types of vegetation were neat to look at. As we got closer to the top, we could see the change in trees. They were more worn and tangled looking, from the continual affect of the wind.




The next picture is at the very top of the mountain. There was an observation deck and a museum but the museum was closed. That did stop hubby from chatting up the park volunteer. He learned that the land originally belonged to the Cherokee (I think) and that the government took it away from them. The government let loggers come in and they destroyed the forest. It has taken them up to just a couple of years ago to get all the little indigenous critters back.



From on top we could see North and South Carolina and Tennessee. And on a clear day, you can see the Atlanta skyline! The views were amazing. The scenery stunning. The whole climb was exhilarating. I, personally, felt so accomplished and so overwhelmed by the glory of it all.


We couldn't believe how close we were to the clouds.







We took our time, looked around and just enjoyed nature. The trip back down the mountain, by foot, was a little easier. The drive down, at dusk, was still a little traumatic, for me. We dined at Moe's in a local town. And our plan was to roast marshmallows when we got back to the campsite.

Everyone was silent on the way home, sleeping or at least resting, I am sure. We got back to the campsite and EG refused to walk up. My friend's son was down for the night. Boop was awake but grumpy. We postponed s'mores out of shear exhaustion. But, it was a good exhaustion. From doing all that could possibly be done in a day.

I can't believe I even contemplated not going on our last adventure . . .

2 comments:

MollyMcFarland said...

LOVE the pics! So beautiful! Love the one of just you and hubby too. Very cute. :)

Katie said...

Amazing pictures ... I can't even imagine how stunning it was in real life.
Love the pictures of your family and you and your husband.