Saturday, May 14, 2011

Dry All Night

I am a slow learner, about a lot of things, but the potty training thing only took me one child.

I started potty training NG before Little Mama came along. She wasn't even two. People told me I needed to start about that time. Especially with a new baby on the way. I was not the least bit successful. And, both NG and I were frustrated.

I decided to take the laid back approach with Little Mama and then Boop. Let them let me know when they were ready. When they had a vocabulary to tell me potty, etc. Both were potty trained by 2 1/2. With relative frustration all the way around.

For LM and Boop, I barely did a thing. I helped them on the big potty when they wanted to. And, granted, it might have taken a couple months to fully get them trained but it was totally stress free. I don't think LM ever had an accident and was night trained before NG was. Boop practically did it all by himself. He had a few accidents, but over all it was stress free.

So, when EG decided before Christmas she wanted to go potty, I was fine with it and just let her progress at her own pace. We have gone two steps forward and four steps back in some weeks. And then, we have had big time bonus days with no accidents what so ever.

I bribe for potty training. M&Ms, jelly beans and now butterscotch chips. She is learning a skill so I don't think it really is bribery. It is encouragement. ;) We use the big potty. And, yes I have to put her up there but I am OK with that.

I started using pull-ups with Boop because having older children I just had to feel safe going out in public. I only used them when we are out of the house. I use them with EG also. Probably a little more because we seem to be on the go a little more.

I just figured out right away that the kids, if they go to college, won't be going in a diaper. And, if I stressed ,they would stress. Yes, I have had to change poopy underwear and yes, I have just spent most of Boop's t-ball game in the potty with EG, but, no worries.

As with everything else, this too shall pass. And, for the first time in 10 years, I will be diaper free. But, for now I am enjoying the fact that EG woke up dry. For the first time. Small steps, baby steps, no worries . . .

No comments: