Friday, May 13, 2011

The Lion in the Library


One of the most famous libraries in the world, I would guess, would be the New York Public Library. When my mom, sister and I went to NYC a couple of years ago, it was a must on our list of things to do. It is the one with the two big lion statues out front of it. I think, when we went, they had Christmas wreathes around their necks.

Anyway, one of the souvenirs I brought back from my trip was a book titled Lion in the Library and it was, and is, a hit. The kids and I love it! I just started reading it to EG. It is about a lion, who one day happened to walk into a library. The librarian didn't much care he was there. But, one rule was, he could not roar. He became indispensable, dusting shelves with his tail, being a pillow during story time and licking envelopes.

Well, one day he did roar. But, it was for a very good reason. He was scolded by the librarian's assistant and sent away from the library. You will have to read the book to see how it turns out. ;)

So, yesterday, we were on our way to the library. I asked EG "What are we going to see at the library?" I was really looking for the answer "books." But instead she said "we see lion at the library," all smiles, of course. I could have stopped the car right then and given her a big ol' hug!

The big kids just smiled and giggled. I know I have said it so many times, but one of the greatest joys I have is reading to my kids. And, it makes it so much more special to know that they actually listen and understand and enjoy it . . .

No comments: