Monday, May 30, 2011

This Past Weekend

I had a wonderful opportunity to attend a homeschool convention at a fabulous hotel with 3 other really great women!

I haven't been away from home in about 3 years so that part was phenomenal too! Anyway, back in the fall a friend approached me about going to the convention. If you are a homeschooler, in our state, you definitely know about this convention. Hundreds of vendors, tons of presenters and most importantly, at a really, really great facility.

So, I broached hubby with the idea, because he would have to watch the kids and take the weekend off from work. And he seemed totally OK with it. So plans were made.

Thursday morning we left early and headed out of town. When we arrived at our destination, I think it is safe to say all of us were in awe! The hotel was HUGE, 1500 sleeping rooms, 10,000 or more space convention center, 4 lanes in the valet line, streams running through the middle of the hotel and a movie screen with about 100 chairs in the middle of the hotel covered by a gigantic atrium.

I am not exaggerating when I say, that by day three, I still couldn't find my way to the pool without getting lost. There were two hot tubs, one adult pool and one whole kids pool area with tons of water "toys" including an octopus, the size of our camper, that water shot out of.

I think there were at least 3 restaurants inside, of all different types. And, a handful of snack stations placed through out the hotel. And coffee spots.

Once we got checked in and I got over my shock of where we were, we headed down to the Vendors Exhibition Hall. Oh my!! For a person who loves books and curricula, it was like a slice of heaven on earth. Rows and rows and rows of vendors and books. Thankfully I had brought a list of things I wanted to look at and needed. It was great to actually touch some work books, thumb through them before buying. I actually ended up not buying a book or two because, after looking through them, they were not what I wanted.

Now, I did make up for that fact by buying a few different things then I had on my list. It was also cool to chat with my girlfriends about what I was buying (or they were buying) and get instant feedback.

Friday and Saturday were filled with a bunch of really great, inspirational speakers. Everything from a mother of four from England, talking about being a hero in our home, to a General in the Army who was one of the very first Army Rangers and the faith that carried him through. I will be honest, I did not attend every single hour of talks. Part of my trip was for a little R&R.

And, part of that R&R was meeting up with a really good friend, who I had not seen in at least 5 years. She was willing to drive 20 minutes, on her lunch hour, to come hang with me for a little. We had a wonderful time just catching up and talking about being a parent and how wonderfully challenging it can be. I was so blessed by our time together!

Friday night we tried to get in the hot tub but it was lightening. Again. (We had attempted Thursday night as well.) So, we had a really good dinner at the pool side restaurant. And then walked around the huge hotel and went to our room and just talked and watched a little TLC.

Saturday was another presentation for about an hour. And then, off to the pool for a couple hours of relaxation before leaving for home! That was wonderful, to just sit and sun and contemplate life. It really helped to renew my mind and my goals as a parent and an educator.

I made one really huge decision. I decided we were done with school for the year. (Continuing math and bible only. But, done with the rest.) We, for the summer, are going to concentrate on loving, obedience, service to others and getting ready for the fall. Oh yea, and having some relaxed fun. With family and with friends.

I am so glad we went. Because the hotel was family friendly and we are thinking about a trip to Sea World, hubby is already planning a family vacation around the conference next year . . .


2 comments:

Katie said...

Can't wait to read about all the details!!

Diane Moody said...

Sounds like you had such a good time away! On every level . . . I'm so glad you had a chance to spend some quality time with friends and have a nice break in the process. Good medicine!