Monday, May 2, 2011

Shut Up and Lollipops

It has been amazing to me how much my 2 1/2 can, will do. Because the first three were pretty close together, it was possible to minimize the use of some words and to avoid the trappings of certain foods.

I can remember going to Micky D's with Nature Girl and bringing her lunch of yogurt and peas. I have a friend who was amazed that I could get through the Sonic's drive through and not get the kids anything. They honestly didn't know they could. We weren't big on hard candy and gum. I don't know the ages of the kids when they were introduced to that stuff. But, I am sure it was way later then normal. I wasn't really depriving them or setting unobtainable goals, they just didn't know any of it was an option.

Because they, the older three, are close in age, there just wasn't the introduction of such words as "shut up" and "stupid." So, we managed for a good number of years not to worry about those things.

Because the oldest is 10, we (she) has been exposed to all kinds of words now. Some good, some not so good. Some you just don't want your 2 1/2 year old to repeat. And, I can't get through a drive through now without buying 5 drinks. Who told them they served minors, anyway!?!

So, I want to apologize now, for my two and a half year old's, ever growing vocabulary. Which includes "shut up" and "stupid." She loves to say "Booper, he not stupid. Mommy you not stupid." And on and on and on. We try to ignore her because she just wants a reaction. And, I know it is only a matter of time when she calls someone outside the house "poopy" or some other such word.

I just don't remember having these struggles with the others. Maybe it is just because my memory is going. But, I would like to think I just paid more attention to what was going on. Or maybe just more diligent. Or, maybe it is just the natural progression of things, the more kids you have . . .

1 comment: