Monday, June 20, 2011

Canning






Yesterday hubby and I tried our hand at canning. It was definitely a learning experience, having never done anything like it before. We had all the tools we needed, we just needed expertise.

It was a whole lot of work for just the few jars we did. Obviously it is something we need to save up and do all in one day to make it worth while. But, we now have a better idea of what we are doing, so when we have to spend a whole Saturday canning the tomatoes we get from our plants, we will be a little bit ahead of the game.

I wish I were a great picture taker like The Pioneer Women or McMama. Nature Girl, Boop and Little Mama took the pictures for us, instead, and did a pretty good darn job.

Today we checked the seals, labeled the jars and will store them in our master bedroom, walk in closet. Along with the onions we have hanging in my old nylons in there. Hey, it is cool, dark and dry in there. You have to improvise when you don't have a root cellar.

Can't wait to make spaghetti sauce and salsa with it some time in the future . . .

2 comments:

Mary Beth said...

So so cool! I have always wanted to can. And the onions in pantyhose cracked me up...my dad used to do that when we were kids and I totally forgot!

Ann said...

It is a little weird having all that food in my closet!