Friday, June 17, 2011

How I Roll

I love people. When I meet someone new and I have an opportunity to do a little relaxed chatting, I am usually pretty good about finding out about that person. I love to ask questions. Where they came from, what they do, etc., etc., etc.

It is especially apparent when I am nervous or anxious, as I was today in the root canal doctor's office. (He has a fancy name but I can't spell it.) I had to have an unexpected root canal and I was very, very nervous. I was at a new doctor's office. So my nervousness and my mouth got the better of me, I guess.

The doctor was young, which they tend to be now days. While waiting for my appointment, I noticed where he went to school and for how long. Anyway, while I was waiting for the anesthetic to kick in, I started chatting with him. Asking him questions about where he went to school, where he was from, how old he was, about his family. We discussed medicine and weather and why he chose that specific occupation.

I didn't think I was being intrusive. I even asked him if it was OK to ask him questions. He answered freely but not with many words. I did not get the feeling I was being offensive or invading his privacy.

So, when he stepped out of the room I heard his hygienist say "She asked you that?" Oh my! My mind started to go over all the questions I asked him. I swear they were not too personal. His diplomas and such were all over his walls. I did mention I had a 25 year old sister. Maybe he thought I was trying to set him up. Which I wasn't at all.

Oh well. I was going to apologize for being so chatty but I never got the chance. Kind of hard with your mouth pried open by a metal frame and a big hunk of plastic over your tongue. I don't want to change how I am. I love people. I love to know about people. Just for the sake of knowing.

One young lady came to the house the other day, selling a cable TV package. By the time we were through, I knew she had a son and some health problems. I gave her a hug and told her I would pray for her, which I have.

So, I guess, all that to say, I am not going to stop talking to people and learning about them. Maybe the dentist and hygienist were talking about someone else chatting him up . . . ;)

5 comments:

Katie said...

I'm exactly the opposite of you. I can't make small-talk to save my life.
Except if someone is holding a baby! Then I want to know all about the baby.

MollyMcFarland said...

I'm 26. ;( I wish I was 25 though...

MollyMcFarland said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MollyMcFarland said...

And I meant to do a face with a tear, not whatever that was that I posted above. Here - :'( I guess that's how...

Ann said...

That was someone with something in their eye. ;) And, you are not 26 you are 25. Forever!