Tuesday, December 15, 2009

An Angel

Sometime when you have oooodles of kids, it can be very difficult to coordinate and satisfy every ones' desires. I don't, for the most part, have a problem with that. I could never hope to fulfill every ones' needs and wants. It just isn't humanly possible. But, because I can't, I think it helps them to develop a sense of God (who can fulfil their needs) and a sense of other peoples needs and to try not focus on themselves first.

OK, that being said, sometimes I feel really bad when the bigger kids don't get to do something because of the littler kids (usually EG.) Yesterday was one of those days.

EG has been sick - cold, cough, horrible diaper rash, inconsolable at times, getting her molars, not sleeping well. I HATE calling the doctor because they always want you to come in and it is never convenient and they really never do anything. But, I called the doc first thing in the morning to get an appointment and it happened to be for 3:30 in the afternoon. The only time available. Of course, that was right during the girls' friend's Christmas ballet recital which we had been planning on going to since the beginning of the year.

I felt horrible about it. I called daddy numerous times for advice (the advice given was much better than toast.) He said EG's health is more important and he was right. But it has been such a weird holiday season. And we haven't had time to do much of the fun stuff. I just hated telling the girls we wouldn't be able to go.

After EG's morning nap she seemed better. So, I called and canceled her appointment. Less than 5 minutes later, after changing her diaper and seeing the rash was worse, called the doc back again and asked for our appointment back.

I then texted my friend to let her know we would not be there to see the recital. Her response was "Do you want me to take the girls?" I about fell over!! It is hard sometimes with the families we hang with because everyone has multiple children so picking up an extra two or three can be very, very hectic! (She has two children and a 9 mos old.) Plus, there is always a transportation problem. I texted her back and conveyed my excitement and gratitude and thanksgiving!! When I spoke with her I told her she was my angel. She had rescued me and I was truly blessed. My children were truly blessed.

When I dropped the girls off before EG's appointment, she graciously offered to take Boop as well (her son is a year older than Boop.) They were planning on taking two cars to the recital anyway. Boop was sooooooo excited to play with his friend (and not have to go to the doc.)

It was such a blessing for me, also, to go to the doc with just one kid!! And oddly enough I enjoyed being there with just her. I was able to watch her play and explore. Nothing like quality time at the doctor's office. But, as a mom, with a few kids, I have learned to cherish the opportunities no matter where they come from.

Unfortunately the doctor didn't have anything that could help me. EG's ears were fine (which I am thankful for) but his solution to her rash problem was cloth diapers. Yes, you heard me CLOTH DIAPERS. Her rash is not food related. It has gotten irritated somehow and the disposables and medicine are just not allowing it to heal.

So, today I am on the hunt for cloth diapers. And still very thankful to my angel and her family for helping us out in a time of need . . .

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

You are sweet...I really wish I had gotten to take them to Sonnys...then I would have been Katie's angel too! They were very polite and well mannered...never have to ask them twice! And I am with Katie..."if only Adam and Eve had not sinned!"