Tuesday, December 22, 2009

What To Do?

This wasn't my original idea for a post today. Daddy's phone call has changed my original idea.

He called this morning wanting to know what I wanted to do with our baby car seat. Now, he knows in the back of his brain that I am not really willing to part with it at this point. This is how it works around here.

Right after the baby is born, for about six to nine months, I get rid of everything as soon as I am through with it. There might be a few things I keep for sentimental purposes but for the most part I am more than willing to pass my stuff on to people who need it. I usually just give it away. I have done this with Little Mama, Boop and now EG. (I did bring a bucket or two to a consignment shop when I found out baby number three was a boy but honestly it wasn't worth all the work.)

But, then I hit the honeymoon stage, usually around 10 to 15 months. That is the stage where I just can't imagine not having a baby in the house. To me (and to Daddy too) it is one of the best times being a parent. They are mobile and want to explore and they are expressive and for the most part happy just cruising around. They are glad to see you and haven't really learned how to throw a tantrum yet. (Although EG is getting the hang of it.)

So, back to the phone call this AM. Daddy knows someone in need of an infant car seat. And asked me what my plans were for the seat. The thought of giving it away brought tears to my eyes and choked me up. He told me that he said to the lady asking him for help "My wife hasn't given up on number five, so I will have to check with her."

Now, in my head I know that we will not be having any more babies, my heart is a different story. If Daddy was on board I would definitely have more. But I know he is ready to move on. And I love him enough to respect and honor his decision (most days :)

This morning he did not pressure me in any way. He asked me to think about it and I told him I would let him know this afternoon. I just had one question "Do they really need it?" And he said "Yes." I am pretty sure I know what my answer will be. I think it would be selfish for me at this point not to consider giving it away. We have been blessed in so many ways so many times over.

Time for me to pass the blessing along . . .


No comments: