Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Heartache

My heart is breaking right now. In the big scheme of things it may seem silly. But, it isn't just what it is, it is what it is all about.

This is a rant post. I have said what I can say in public venues (and will continue to do so.) This is about a man, an inspiration to so many kids who didn't have inspiration or guidance or direction. It is about a man who came to a college where a 6 and 6 record was historical. It is about a man who spent the majority of his life living FSU football to the benefit of the university system.

When I first came to FSU I didn't know a thing about college football. I knew there where two teams in Florida and that was it. :) My first FSU game was in the "erector set." That is what everyone called the stadium. Just last week I had the pleasure of driving by campus to see the stadium that Bobby Bowden built. It was because of him, his dedication, his sacrifice, his love of the game that we have this great big beautiful brick and mortar stadium (new classrooms and offices I might add.) Not to mention the brand new baseball field. The sight was overwhelming!

I don't know stats and I don't have the facts, but I know that Bobby Bowden brought GREAT things to Florida State University as a whole. Every department, every area, every nook and cranny benefited from the powerhouse of FSU football. The team that Bobby built.

How can a bunch of men, that I know are my age or a little older forget all that?? How can you treat a man so disrespectfully who has sacrificed so much? I have explained to my children that what has happened to Bobby Bowden is all that is wrong with the world. That greed and selfishness and pride have dictated what happens to a loving, giving man. It is a travesty. It is deplorable. It is disgusting.

It is only football. Yes, just football. A man, a life is bigger than a sport. Bobby Bowden deserved to go out on his terms. He has made the university millions. He should have had one final farewell season. He deserved AT LEAST that. . .

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

I could not agree more, Ann. It's a very sad day and I am so disappointed in my alma mater. Thanks for the eloquent post.