Monday, December 7, 2009

Market Days



Yesterday the girls and I went to Market Days (the fairgrounds full of handmade crafts.) I think I had been there once before and really didn't care much for it. I just remembered it being very crowded and lots and lots of stuff I really didn't care for or better yet, appreciate.

I had to go yesterday because I was in search of one of my Christmas presents. A mom that I know has this really great necklace. I asked her where she got it and she told me Market Days. She said she goes every year and if I was interested she would try to find the pendants for me. Well, that was a couple of weeks ago, maybe even a couple of months ago. When I saw that Market Days was coming, I asked her if she minded picking them up for me. Well, she and her family decided to go to Disney the same weekend as Market Days. Aaahhh the nerve - just kidding of course!!

So then I tried to find the charms/pendants on Etsy. But they only things I could find cost 4 times the price she had paid. That wasn't happening. So, my next plan was to go to Market Days myself.

Daddy watched the little guys and the big girls and I went to the fair grounds. At first the girls didn't want to go (and I didn't blame them.) But, when we got there, they LOVED it. And honestly so did I. It was mid afternoon and it was closing in a couple of hours. There were not many people so it was easy to see everything and walk around.

The girls were amazed at the things that people created. Everything from handmade baby dolls to jewelery made out of sea glass. They each found about a half dozen things they wanted to buy. I pacified them by getting business cards for everything and told them if there was something they really wanted we could look up their website or email them. I did buy two things. One was a plaque for the girls' room and it says "I am smiling because you are my sister. I am laughing because there is nothing you can do about it." I thought it was very appropriate for a room that will eventually have three girls in it! The other thing I bought I can't mention. It is for daddy and he just might read my blog ;)

There was one booth called "Grandma's Sewing Attic." We had to go back to it on our way out. She had the most expressive baby dolls and she made all kinds of clothes for babies and American Girl size dolls. As we were leaving, the "Grandma" said "Come back and see me next year." The girls enthusiastically said "yes!"

Another neat thing was the kid tent where little entrepreneurs sold their handmade crafts. We happened to know two of the families participating so that was cool. The girls chatted with their friends and looked at the crafts that other kids made. My friend's kids made really neat Christmas gifts out of the wood and twigs from their yard - twig Christmas trees and stars; fire starters made with candles and pine cones and bigger branches with holes drilled out and candles in them. All really cool.

I am thinking about seriously pursuing my card making "business" next year so it was neat to see how and what type of things are created. I will be looking at much smaller venues but it gave me ideas and a little motivation. The girls also got a little bit of the entrepreneurial spirit. We will see how that plays out during the course of next year. But regardless, I told them we will go back next year. We will take more time and have our Christmas shopping lists handy . . .

1 comment:

Diane Moody said...

Music to my ears! I'm ALL about the entrepreneural spirit (or however it's spelled?) I come from a long line of entrepreneurs! I'm always having great ideas, just never sure how to make it happen! A friend suggested I have a business coming up with these ideas then sell them to OTHERS who wanna make them happen. HA! But I say GO FOR IT on your card biz! And get those kids into the spirit! It's ALWAYS better to make money for yourselves than for someone else! At least that's the way I see it!