Monday, December 14, 2009

Now I Know Why

About 9:45 last night EG woke up just screaming. She hasn't felt well, cold and pretty bad diaper rash. She wakes up occasionally in the middle of the night but usually settles herself back down within 5 minutes. Last night was not one of those nights. I could just tell.

I gave it a minute or two but knew I needed to go get her. I picked her up out of her crib and tried to rock her in the easy chair that is in her (Boop's) room. She wanted no part of that. She just kept screaming. Everyone else was in bed. I brought her into the living room and tried to rock her in the chair out there. Still didn't work. She just kept screaming. I walked and walked with her and nothing seemed to settle her down. I was a little concerned. (She didn't have a temperature.) I don't remember having to go through this before. Sure, I have had sick kids in the middle of the night, but usually they settle down when I pick them up or rock with them.

I gave her some Tylenol in case she had an ear infection and just kept walking with her, singing to her and trying to rock her to settle her down. Still, there was no relief. Finally, I went in my room to get daddy's opinion and advice. Now, I can name on one hand how many times I have ever bothered daddy in the middle of the night with sick kids. One time comes to mind when Nature Girl threw up everywhere and I just couldn't get it clean and hold her etc. all at the same time. Other than that I can't really remember, although I am sure there are other times.

Anyway, I went in and woke him up with a screaming baby. I just needed some advice because I was at a loss. The screaming baby did not wake him up. That should have been a clue. So finally after saying his name rather loudly he woke up. I explained very briefly what was going on. Then, I waited with bated breathe for the answer to my dilemma. Daddy, usually, when I am perplexed, has good, calming advice. Last night his answer was "Give her toast." My reply "Toast? Toast!?"

Needless to say, I walked out of the room and shut the door. Now I know why I don't wake him in the middle of the night . . .

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

O.K. this has given me a chuckle this morning...I laughed out loud! I cannot wait to tell John....so what finally calmed her down?

Ann said...

I think the Tylenol kicked in. Although I was totally ready to sleep with her in the chair but she kept fussing and not being able to get comfortable. So about 11:20 I laid her down in the crib and she slept till 7. Off to the doc though . . .

Katie said...

Now, THAT.... toast...
I don't even know what to say.

Diane Moody said...

Toast?! Gotta love those sleepy dads! SO funny! Though probably not that funny in the middle of the night!

Hope she's feeling better and you BOTH get some sleep! Let us know, okay?