Saturday, February 13, 2010

Doorpost

I love books. In case you didn't know. And a fellow book addict shared a site she had been to numerous times before. It is mostly books about raising godly children and being a godly wife or husband. The author of most of the books has raised six children so I trust she knows a little bit about what she is taking about.

One of the first books I purchased was called "Instructions in Righteousness." I have had the book for at least three years but was really not sure what to do with it. As I have grown in my role as a parent, I understand the book a little better. It is divided into sections that you might want to work on your child with such as selfishness or deception. It then lists a lot about what God has to say about that subject based on scripture. For example, it might give an example how to help a child understand why telling the truth is important. It give ideas on discipline approaches and also gives unique ideas on how to encourage a child to continue making good choices.

Then I got a set of charts. A "Blessings Chart", a tattle tale chart, a "Go-to the Ant" chart and one or two others. They are just quick reference charts to guide me through the day to help me speak to a child's heart as oppose to just correcting his/her outward behavior.

About a month ago, I bought a book for just moms and daughters. It is kind of like a bible study to do together that focuses on raising and growing up to be a Psalm 31 woman. I bought it to help guide me in raising godly daughters but as I have been reading and preparing "lessons" I have used much of the information for myself. We haven't started it yet and I look forward to growing into a Psalm 31 woman along with my girls. . .

No comments: