Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Valentine's Day

Hubby and I don't "celebrate" Valentine's Day. We may exchange a card and I sometimes will buy him a little chocolate or something. (The kids get most of the cards and treats and usually a little gift.) I have probably at some point got flowers or candy or jewelery or something. Honestly it is no big deal to me (which works out well for my hubby!) We have been known to go to basketball games in the past, on my request.

Anyway, this year, Sissy had celebrated Valentine's Day with her boyfriend on Saturday and her boyfriend had to work on Sunday. Sooooo, at the last minute I asked her to babysit for us and we would go to an early dinner. As our neighbor said "Awe, how romantic." No, not really, just taking advantage of an opportunity ;)

So, we get sort of dressed up and head out the door by like 5:15PM. My sister insisting we will be amazed at the number of people dining out and that we should probably have a reservation or at least expect a long wait. Hubby and I don't listen. We figure it is a Sunday night, it is early, geez, it is just Valentine's Day.

Well, the first place we went had an hour and a half wait! And, there was no place to sit! We looked at each other and knew that wasn't going to happen. So, we got in the car and drove and drove and drove. Every place we might have gone we knew, now, would have a wait. We drove by Chili's and Olive Garden. Cars, cars everywhere. We had to laugh. We just couldn't believe it! Finally we went by a Ruby Tuesdays. One of the last restaurants on our way back home. I hadn't eaten there in probably 10 years. But, the parking lot was relatively empty. So Ruby's it was.

I have to tell you, it was really, really good! Both hubby and I ordered the salad bar. And that was it. We had a little time to chat and then hubby's phone rang. Apparently Sissy had given EG Honey Nut Cheerios (duh, does she not read my blog ;) The kids saw her to it and told her about her allergy. Of course, it never crossed my mind to tell her.

Anyway, we paid the bill and came home. It was nice to get out for just a little bit AND we were home in time to watch the tip off of the basketball game. AND EG seemed OK. All's well that ends well . . .

No comments: