Saturday, February 20, 2010

Only One Other Time

have I ever started a book and not finish it. The last time this happened was about 20 years ago. I bought a book at an airport newsstand. I still remember what it looked like. It was purple with a picture of a cottage on the front. I managed to get through the first half of the first chapter. And that was it. I just couldn't go on. I don't really remember why, now. But, I just remember I never picked it up again.

Well, last night I gave in for a second time. I am not going to read Red Badge of Courage any more. I have tried and tried. I get the general gist of the book and I am like half way through. But, I just don't want to read it anymore. It is not holding my interest. It is not a book that I just can't put down. And at this stage of the game, that is what I want, a book that I just can't put down.

I have several books I am reading that are not necessarily "for fun." They are helping me learn and grow as a wife, mother, follower of Christ. So they are heavy books. Books that make me think.

Because I stay at home all day, every day, one thing I promised myself is that I would make an effort to read classic literature. I alternate the classics with books that are a little bit "easier" to read. I have read some really, really great classics. And many of them have become my favorites. So that is why I chose to read Red Badge of Courage.

Last night, I decided, that the few moments that I read for pleasure really deserve to be for pleasure. So, I put it back on my self of books that someday I will read. Or maybe get the kids to read and they can tell me how it ends.

Part of me feels like a quitter. I have told myself "Come on, you can do it." But, for this book, I just can't. And, I don't want to!

This year, with my Barnes and Noble gift card I bought Blue Like Jazz and The Time Traveler's Wife. Two books I would not normally have bought. But, last night, I took off my self, The Time Travelers Wife and I can't wait to start it, soon . . .

4 comments:

Katie said...

I tried reading William Faulkner once and just could NOT get through a single book.
There are some classics, though, that I absolutely love and would recommend as readily as any bestseller: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and East of Eden are my favorites.
I've been wanting to read The Time Traveler's Wife.... you'll have to let me know what you think.

Ann said...

I think I read East of Eden because of you and it is definitely one of my favs! I will have to look into A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I will let you know about The Time Traveler's Wife. Hubby actually wants to see the movie :) Not sure I get that, but won't argue!

Diane Moody said...

I am SO like you, Annie. Why is it we feel like quitters if we don't finish a book? Last year was the first time I started letting myself quit a book if I wasn't loving it. And would you believe I quit SEVEN BOOKS?! (I keep a log of all the books I read - started doing that in 2004. Wish I always had!)

Anyway, I LOVE the freedom this has give me! Time is too precious to waste on something someone ELSE says is "great." So ENJOY your books, my friend! And let me know how you like The Time Traveler's Wife. I haven't read it yet.

Ann said...

I keep lists for the kids of what they read. I need to do that for myself as well! What a great idea!