Sunday, April 14, 2013

7 Experiment and Stuff

We just wound up our latest 7 Experiment.  It was to get rid of 210 things in a month's time.  A fast of possessions of sorts.  At first, I was very daunted by the task.  Until I actually got going.  I am sad to say it was one of the easiest challenges I have had.

All of us were involved and we went room to room, closet to closet, cupboard to cupboard and shelf to shelf looking for things to get rid of.  And I was done in about 2 weeks!  Although it was suppose to take a month.  And, I have plenty more to get rid of.

We gave away clothes, toys, books.  We got rid of papers and just plain junk.  And we are not through.  We gave most of our stuff away to a local thrift shop that helps homeless and abused women and children.  We donated a lot of stuff to our church for our annual fund raising for the 4th of July Fireworks out reach program.  Much of my homeschool stuff I gave away to families who needed it.

Even though we were officially done last Saturday, I found myself yesterday going through more toy boxes and getting rid of more stuff.  The girls decided to clean and organize their closet and had a bunch of clothes to donate.

We have instilled a new rule.  If something new comes into the house, for whatever reason, something that is already here, has to go.  The last thing I want to do is accumulate more stuff after we just spent four weeks getting rid of stuff.

I would like to say it was so hard to get rid of material possessions that it hurt.  But the reality is we have so much stuff it goes unnoticed.  We have so much stuff, we don't take care of what we do have.  There is so much stuff we lose and misplace stuff and it just doesn't matter a whole lot.  I am working on changing that.

Even though we start a media fast on Monday, I am going to continue with giving away stuff.  I feel I just have to . . .

No comments: