Saturday, April 27, 2013

Mom of the Year Award

As I get older and busier, it seems to me that many of the details of life seem to escape me.

Today is one of those days that the major details of life went unnoticed.  Much to the determent of my oldest daughter.

I sent her on a 20 mile bike ride unprepared.  No water and no sunscreen.  We were on time and she did have a bright shirt, though!

But, most unfortunately was, her bike was not in proper working order.  It was checked out two weeks ago and passed inspection (they are getting ready to go on a 3-4 day bike trip in our part of the state.)  There were some issues that needed to be addressed and, as her parents, we failed to get them taken care of.

I would love to have a list of excuses of why it happened but I just don't.  We were unprepared.  I don't think hubby and I really had a concept of what the kids would be doing today.  I don't think NG had a concept of what she would be doing today!

Her bike, if it had been in great shape, would have been OK.  But, it isn't a bike, really, for what the kids are doing.  Riding on the road great distances.

Plus, there were hills.  Big hills.  She has been riding around our neighborhood almost everyday like the Pastor R said.  But, we have no hills.

NG said at one point, she wanted to just sit down and cry and ask to get in the truck (while they were working on her bike).  But, she decided she was not a quitter.  The other kids and adult riders were constantly encouraging her.  And she made it back.  She did not quit.  On the way home I asked her if she wanted to continue training and to go on the trip and she gave me a definite yes.  (I think I might have given up!)

I felt bad.  I couldn't do much about what she was to expect because we had no idea.  But, we could have prepared her bike better.  Made sure it was in top performing shape.  Given her proper equipment.

The whole bike riding thing has a huge learning curve for us.  Today the curve was massive.  We have all learned a lot and are thankful that every one was safe and had a good time.  And, next week, we will be way more prepared for her adventure.  I am one proud mama for a daughter who wasn't willing to quit.  Even when she had more than good reason to . . .

No comments: