Thursday, April 4, 2013

Changes in School

This post won't have pictures so I don't need to take time trying to upload them before I post.

About 2 weeks ago, my big girls finished up a couple of their school books.  And we, as a family, finished up one or two.  That gave me the opportunity to change up our school day just a little bit.  And I took full advantage of it.  And the results have been great.

I have been able to add a daily Latin program,  Prima Latina which the kids love. (Boop told me he did part of his Latin prayer at bedtime.)  And we have added a daily Geography book which the kids love, A Child's Geography:  Explore the Holy Lands.  (It involves riding around on a magic carpet called at kilim while we explore the Holy Land of Turkey.)  And we have added daily writing and grammar which we absolutely have had the need for.

I have moved our Science to an experiment at least once a month.  And our weekly Geography book, which was really good, has been shelved for now.  Also our English from the Roots Up has been tabled.

At the beginning of the week Nature Girl is given a list of all the things she is responsible for for the week.  Reading assignments, worksheets, writing assignments and it is her job to get it all done by Friday.  She likes the independence.

I will continue to read to each child every day.  When I told someone about that she asked when I would stop and I said never.  As long as a child is in the house, I will always make an effort to sit on the couch and snuggle and read.  And even though I have an almost 12 year old, she has never once suggested that she doesn't want me to read to her.  In fact, one time I mentioned they day may come and she said no way.  ;)  That is one of my priorities when figuring out how we are going to do school every year.

I am sure there are a few more subtle changes but my time has run out.  Time to wake kids for another adventure in homeschooling . . .

No comments: