Thursday, April 25, 2013

First Crop of the Season



Our garden is growing.  I say ours, I should really say hubby's.  Anyway, we have tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, onions and a few other things that I just can't remember at the moment.  But, our first official crop was a lot of lettuce.

We ate salads for a week.  We had our Sunday School group over on a Sunday night and made a huge bowl of salad.  We gave lettuce away.  And then it was gone.  All in a week's time.

I had envisioned us eating it all summer.  There is nothing more delicious then a summer salad.  Funny thing about lettuce, though, it doesn't like the heat.  And, in order to eat lettuce for more than a week, you have to plant it in stages.  Maybe not all at once.  And you can't really freeze lettuce.

Put it in the ground a little earlier and stagger the planting.  Lesson learned for next year . . . 

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

Yum yum yum! I love fresh lettuce....my dad plants it every spring...huge difference from the store kind! :)