Thursday, April 18, 2013

7 Media Fast

We started our media fast Monday.  We have been somewhat successful.  Honestly, I just don't feel as motivated by this one because we don't do much in the way of media as it is.  At least that is how I feel.

About a month ago, I took away the privilege of TV on the weekends (as a rule the kids don't watch TV during the week), all of the gaming devices (a Leap Frog and 2 DSs) and the computer.  I got tired of the fussing about doing chores before "play time" etc.  And the only way anyone would work really hard was if it was a day they got to go on the computer.  I felt sure this wasn't the way it was suppose to be.  The kids are suppose to do what they do because they live here and it is the way they contribute to the family and the computer and screen time were just added bonuses because they live in a home that can afford all of that stuff.

I will be honest, we have watched an episode or two or three of HGTV when I felt like it. ;)  And, when the babysitter has been here (that includes hubby) they usually watch some type of TV.  Also, if they do their daily chores on time they get a ticket and it can earn them 30 minutes screen or computer time.  But, that is pretty hard to earn.  So, for the most part that has been it.

They still ask on a fairly regular basis to watch something.  Especially on days when we are home all day.  But, I usually say no and that is it.  They don't tease or whine or complain.  One of them said the other day that they didn't even notice they don't watch TV in the mornings on the weekends.  That made me happy.

And, I guess because we don't have smart phones and hubby doesn't text, we don't have that to contend with.  I am on the computer but because I have been pretty busy lately, that doesn't even seem to be a problem.  I can't tell you the last time I was on Pintrest.

So, I think that is why this doesn't seem like such a big deal.  We are just not all that plugged in enough to make unplugging a huge deal.  But, we have talked about it and the following is our plan for the next 28 days.  There is always room for improvement in the way we choose to do life!  And even though we aren't totally plugged in, we can still have an appreciation for the privileges that we do have.

So, this is it:
-The kids are not to ask for TV at all.  But, I am sure at some point they will get to watch something.  I just want them to get out of the habit of even asking.
-I am going to try to stay off of Facebook.  Although Monday I failed.  I usually don't stay on for long.  I just look up a page or two of statuses a couple of times a day.  But, I feel that needs to go.
-I am going to only check my email twice a day.  I find if I get on just to check my email, I get caught up in something else.
-I get 15 minutes to blog every day but I haven't even had time to do that.  Although it is getting a little better.
-I am going to try to call rather than text.  And I am going to avoid "fun" texting.  Although, I will respond to text messages.
-Paul is limiting his computer time at home to 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the evening.
-We only turn the TV on at night for about an hour when Paul doesn't work the next day so maybe 3 times a week, depending, so that will stay the same.

That about wraps it up.  I think the biggest thing for me this month is to really focus on being personal and intentional with people.  It is so easy to let the technology get in the way of real relationships.

We shall see how it goes. . . .

No comments: