Saturday, February 7, 2009

Dinner Disaster

OK so that is being a little over dramatic. But I am entitled to have a little creative leeway. Aren't I?? Anyway, last night was our first dinner out. It was more out of necessity than for the pleasure of dining out. Nature Girl had a birthday party from 4:30 - 6:30 on the other side of town. (For a girl she met in preschool and just recently reconnected with at tumbling. NG's idea for a gift was a fish and the girl loved it!) Sorry, I digress. Anyway, given the time of the party and the fact that daddy was working I decided to have daddy meet us at a pizzeria that was in the same strip mall where I had dropped Nature Girl off. My motto "Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst." So I made sure I had everything. Diapers, a bottle, stroller, sling, etc., etc., etc. Of course, EG didn't sleep at all while we were in the car, or at WalMart while we were buying the gift, or during the many trips back and forth, up and down the strip mall while waiting for daddy. Not a good sign. Now I will have a hungry and tired baby while try to eat dinner in a restaurant. My plan was that while we were waiting for dinner I would nurse EG in the car. Well, because we were eating so early I ended up taking EG for another walk hoping she would take a quick nap before we all ate. No luck. The car was parked far away and our pizza was almost to the table so I decided to nurse EG right there. We were tucked away in a corner and the restaurant was deserted. She wanted no part of it. She wouldn't nurse. She wiggled and jiggled and just got more upset. I wiggled and jiggled and just got more upset. So, I shoved a couple of pieces of pizza in my mouth and hoofed it to the car. She was reluctant to nurse there as well but finally gave in. The kids and daddy had finished eating, I was still feeding EG and we still had 1/2 hour before we had to pick up Nature Girl. Daddy took Little Mama and Boop for ice cream and I walked the length of the strip mall for the 6th time to go get them (daddy has his patrol car so couldn't take any kids home). So finally the kids and I were able to pick up Nature Girl. It seemed like a very long 2 hours. Daddy and I made an executive decision. It cost us $40 and a whole lot of hassle just to avoid driving back and forth across town. Lesson learned . . . .

P.S. Nature Girl lost tooth number 6 before the party :)

3 comments:

Katie said...

Oh man, I got stressed out just reading this!

Kathryn said...

Coming from your friend that likes to eat out :)...try it again sometime....it may be a whole different story! Actually, chunk the kids (with me) and you and Paul just go out!

Ann said...

I will check with Paul about that!! Thank you!!