Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Happy 6th Birthday Little Mama





At 7:30 AM 6 years ago today my water broke as I was getting out of bed. Having never had that happen before, it was quite the experience. A little freaky if I do say so myself! I rushed to the bathroom, called the doc, woke my sister, called my mom and off to the hospital we went. I arrived at triage and they checked me in and hooked me up. At about 9 o'clock my mom came to visit. She, my sister and my MIL had Nature Girl duty. Because my labor wouldn't start even though my water broke they decided to induce me and I got an epidural. It was a long day just hanging out at the hospital. My family came in and out and brought Nature Girl up to see me. At about 5 o'clock things started to happen. I sent my mom, sis, MIL and Nature Girl out of the delivery room and started to push. I will never forget that day as long as I live. FSU was playing basketball at home that night (I am pretty sure my midwife had tickets). Anyway, to distract me (and make hubby and the midwife happy) we tried to find the game on TV (all the while I am in labor and starting to push ;). The game wasn't on TV so the next step was to find a radio so we could all listen. About an hour had gone by of me pushing and nothing happening. Things were getting a little frantic. I could hear Nature Girl outside of the L and D room knocking on doors saying "Mommy, are you in there?" All the while I am trying to push Little Mama out and she is not wanting to come out. After about an hour and a half of squatting, hanging on bars, getting on my knees and saying words I should never have uttered, the midwife stepped out. She went to either get a vacuum or call the doc. When she came back in, I pushed a few more times and out came Little Mama. I heard the midwife say "Call the doctor back." I pushed for over two hours. It was well worth all of the drama. My Little Mama is the sweetest, most thoughtful and loving child a mother could ever hope for. She cares so much for other people and is willing to sacrifice her needs to make some one else happy. She is sensitive and kind and she LOVES her family. As I have said before, I believe the reason the delivery was so long was that Little Mama just wanted to be as close to her mama for as long she possibly could. And, really, nothing has changed . . .

2 comments:

Katie said...

Happy birthday to your darling Little Mama. What a wonderful birth story.

Diane Moody said...

LOVE the pictures! And thank you so much for sharing about Little Mama's arrival! Seems like just yesterday!