Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Sick Babies

I don't think there is anything worse than having a sick child (or sick children as the case maybe). Well, unless you have newborn in the house. We are going on three months of runny noses and a horrible, horrible cough. It started out with Boop and then traveled to Little Mama, me and then Nature Girl. They would have runny noses all day and cough when they exerted themselves. At night it was horrible. They would cough so hard they would almost vomit and it would bring tears to their eyes. They would sleep with water cups so they could drink something every time they coughed. The medicine I gave them didn't help a lick. The doc confirmed it wouldn't stop it and there wasn't anything I could do and it would last awhile and yes, EG could get it. It has been weeks and weeks of sickness. But by the end of last week things started to look up. Boop's nose stopped running by the weekend and he wasn't coughing. Little Mama seemed completely healed and Nature Girl had manageable remnants. (All the while I am praying that EG doesn't get it!!) Well, on Sunday Boop started feeling puny again. By yesterday he was coughing and his nose was running. Nature Girl had an ear ache. I should have taken them all to the doc but I always hesitate. Mostly because there is nothing they can do but also it is also a hassle taking everyone. (Also scared to death what they will pick up while there :) By bedtime last night Boop was wheezing and I was concerned. I woke daddy which I don't ever do unless I am really worried. He came and listened to Boop breathe and thought it was just congestion in his nose but said I should take him in today. So the next dilemma was where do I sleep? Normally I would have slept in the room with him or in the hallway or on the couch. But because EG is still waking up a million times in the night I couldn't be too far away from her. So I ended up on the couch with my bedroom door open. Every time I woke up I would check on both of them. There shouldn't be so much stress and worry in the middle of the night. We made it through and one of the first things to do this morning is call the doc. I am going to have them check everyone. Hopefully to alleviate a trip back and to give me peace of mind . . .

3 comments:

Katie said...

I really feel for you. Having sick children is so hard, and I agree, especially when there's a little baby in the house to worry about.

I hope the doctor's visit goes well and everyone feels better SOON (so Mama can get some much needed sleep).

Diane Moody said...

Okay, don't hate me but you had mentioned going to church on Sunday. When my kids were little, they picked up sooooo many bugs every time we went to church. It always ticked me off a bit because there were parents who'd bring their OBVIOUSLY sick kids, and "share" their germs with all the others. Grrrr. Anyway, it was just a thought. Not that you should give up going! Hang in there.

Ann said...

Just for that reason I try to have them wash their hands when they get home and even have those disenfectant wipes in the car. But of course I forget and they forget. I figure between church and ballet and especially tumbling I don't have a prayer! Part of the gig I guess!!