Saturday, February 28, 2009

Movin' Grandma
















About 10 years ago my mom, stepdad and sister moved to the town where my husband and I live. I think their sole purpose was just to be close to us because we had been talking about starting a family. They had visited us many times and I think liked our small town atmosphere. It is a great place to raise kids. Anyway, a lot has happened since then. I have had four babies (and probably no more), my sister graduated high school and will graduate from college next month and over two years ago my stepfather passed away. A couple of weeks ago my mom went to visit some really good friends of hers from where she used to live. She had a great time and really, really enjoyed being back there with a great church and wonderful network of wonderful friends. So, the subject came up of her moving back there. We prayed about it and kind of set some things in motion. We all wanted to do what was best for her and what God wanted for her. The thought of her leaving her grandkids was the hardest part, no doubt. Well, one of the first things she did was call about a house that is across the street from one of her friends. It had been for sale for quite some time. My mom thought "What the heck. It can't hurt to ask if he is willing to rent it." So she called and the owner called her back. She explained she was interested in renting it and what she could afford and the man said yes! It is a two bedroom/two bath house with a pool all for what she was paying for a townhouse here. One prayer answered! She has to find a job there but she would have had to find a job here. Before the ultimate decision was made we talked about how many times we would visit. Who would go where for the holidays. All of the important stuff. I have no doubt it was one of the hardest decisions my mom had to make. We will miss her, just knowing that she is here, but I know in my heart it is one of the best decisions she has ever made . . .

3 comments:

Katie said...

Good for your mom!
How far away is it from you?

Ann said...

About 5 hours but with kids probably 6 :)

Diane Moody said...

I thought about her all day yesterday and prayed for her and for Paul and for ALL of you. It KILLS me to think she's now living 2 doors down from where we used to live! Big transition, but I'm excited to see what God has in store for the Queen back in her old stomping grounds.