Thursday, October 8, 2009

Little Mama and the Library

About 2 months ago, maybe more, we made our first trip back to the library in a very long time. I love the library. One of my fondest memories as a kid is riding to our neighborhood library that was housed in an older, larger remodeled home. I have loved to read since as far back as I can remember!! My favorites were horse stories by Margarite Henry and the Boxcar Children.

Sorry, this isn't about me today! So, about 2 months ago we made it to the library. It turned out to be a very special occasion. Little Mama got her very own library card! She was so excited. She let all of us check out our books on her card. They also gave her a really neat book bag which she uses to carry all of our books back and forth to the library. (The other kids were jealous)

The kids love to go to the library and we try to go every two or three weeks. Today Little Mama picked out four books from the Magic Tree House Series. She is in the process of learning to read and she sits down with those books and flips the pages looking for words that she knows! Nature Girl picked out three Nancy Drew Mysteries and one book from the Boxcar Children series. I had to challenge her. She is a fast and fabulous reader so I made her pick out little bit harder books. Boop gets Magic Tree House books as well. No picture books for him. He chooses his books based on how interesting the covers are. I let EG have a book or two while we are there but she just chews on them so I put them back. I usually get a couple of books. Mostly for school. Books on VanGogh (we are studying his art), leaves (because it is fall), apples (because we have them for lunch) and Christopher Columbus (because of the holiday on Monday.)

I was so excited for Little Mama to get her library card. I explained to her that reading can take her places that she may never go. Or learn about things that she may otherwise not be taught. Reading and books open a whole new world for those who take an interest. There is no way for us to know everything. But, all we have to be able to do is read and be able to find information and then there isn't anything we can't know about!

No matter what books they pick out, I just love quiet time after we have been to the library . . .

2 comments:

Katie said...

My boys are also big fans of the Magic Treehouse series.
Happy reading!

Ann said...

At first I didn't think I would like them. But, they are pretty cool!