Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Things Looking Up?

I can only hope and pray. It has been one of the longest 6 days of my life and it isn't over yet. Having sick children always challenges me. I have to give 120% all the time. Nurturing, healing, loving, on call 24/7 and the list can go on and on. What a mom can never prepare for is being sick herself when the babies are sick. Hubby mentioned to me that he felt so sick that he had to take to the bed for almost the whole day. I understand that. I feel that. But I can't do that. Who is going to take care of my precious babies who are sick and those who are getting better? Some one has to get medicine, cover them with blankets, get water and juice and food when they feel good enough to eat. I honestly have never been so challenged and I failed miserably! I was cranky and felt bad for myself. I just wanted to crawl into bed and cover my head with a blanket. I pouted and felt selfish. All the things I have been praying about not to be. But I couldn't help it. I felt soooooo horrible and I just wanted someone to take care of me!

In the beginning I tried to keep up with a clean (relatively) kitchen, etc. If I just let it go it would get bad real quick. But by today, I am tired. My body aches and the kitchen along with the rest of the house is a wreck. My goal today is to wash EVERYTHING. Open windows. Disinfect. Brush my hair.

Could all this have been avoided by a flu shot? Honestly I thought about it. But, after everything I have read, I don't think I would have done anything different. I am pretty sure we don't have the swine flu. And there are so many different strains. A flu shot only protects against one strain (which I just learned.) Anyway, we are going to be extra diligent about hand washing etc.

Just rambling thoughts from a recovering flu victim . . .

3 comments:

Diane Moody said...

Oh Annie! I just hate this! And you're right - when Mom is sick, who takes care of HER?! I can't imagine how you survived. I was so sick, I honestly could hardly turn over in bed - can't IMAGINE having to care for little ones in that condition! Hopefully Dad and the little ones are feeling better and YOU can get some rest! Praying!

Katie said...

Yup, too bad if Mom gets sick, she has to do it all anyway. bleh. Wish I was there to take care of YOU.
My hubby was sick last week, some sort of flu for four days. I was actually a little jealous of him, I waited on him, he slept as much as he wanted, he didn't have to take care of anything.
I'm hoping I don't get sick!

As far as the flu shot goes, well there are a ton of arguments for and against, you've just gotta do what you feel is right for your family.

Hoping you're all on the mend and feeling better.

Ann said...

Aunt Diane - Thank you for the prayers. I am hoping we are out of the woods - at least a little bit ;)

Katie - Jealous would be a nice word for the way I felt/feel ;)

I will be praying that you and your kids don't get what Todd had!!!!!