Saturday, October 10, 2009

Nature Pictures






I don't think I have posted these pictures before. They are from the handful of times we have been to the creek. It is amazing what changes in just a week or twos time. The last time I went I took a reference picture so we could see how things change from week to week.

The kids just love going. And I do to most of the time (unless it is hot and humid.) I give the kids one or two things to focus on and the rest is just fun. Because we had read a book about why leaves change colors I had them pick a leaf from a tree that we do not have in our yard. We have a couple tree and leave books. Plus, daddy loves identifying trees.

We didn't make it to the creek this week. But a friend of mine gave me the idea of a nature circle. You place a rope in a circle in your yard. And for about 10 minutes, you have the kids just sit and observe what is going on in the circle. I think there are questions to ask etc. but I didn't get that far yesterday. I had gone out, made the circle in the shade, given them instructions and then came back inside to do whatever. When I looked out the window just a few minutes later, Little Mama was up a tree, Nature Girl was sitting IN the circle (and proceeded to make a cobweb out of the rope) and Boop was doing heaven knows what. I guess for the first time or two I will need to be sure they are doing what they are told.

We are all excited for fall. We just wish it would get cooler . . .

No comments: