Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Philippians 4:8

"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." This is our memory verse for the next week or so.

This scripture verse is on the right side of my blog. I like the verse. It is inspirational. It is positive. It is kind of how I want to approach learning. I want my kids to read, watch, hear and learn about the very best of everything. Great music, great art, great literature. Rich words, inspiring stories, masterful music.

But as with a lot of things for me lately the verse has come to mean so much more. It is the verse I have been trying to use to filter just about everything we do in our everyday life. We have started listening to K Love in the car, a local Christian radio station. At first it was hard. We didn't know a lot of the songs and the kids like to sing along to the radio. But, the more we listened the more we are recognized songs and some of them we have sung in church. And, we are learning new ones. The announcers probably talk a little bit more on this station but it is usually great inspirational stories. And some of the stories have sparked good discussions and "teachable moments." I even listen to it when I am by myself. It is uplifting and positive and best of all, pleasing to God.

The kids were a little surprised by the change of music. I started to explain by paraphrasing Philippians 4:8. That no matter what we do in our lives we need to surround ourselves all the time with that which is good and pure and true and lovely and pleasing to God. Not to make us better Christians (although I guess that would be a byproduct) but because that is what God has called us to do. I shared with the kids that we as a family should use Philippians 4:8 as a filter for everything. Whether it is music, clothing, words, books, movies, friends, hobbies, our time, etc., etc. It is hard! Especially for me!

I would be lying if I said I don't have concerns about the choices my kids make when I am not around or when they get older. Or that it isn't hard for them when they want to watch or listen to something that I have said that they can't. But I have thought a lot about that lately as well. One thing I can do is train my children in the ways of the heart by using and applying God's words. It isn't what I want or what I believe. It is what God wants and what He tells us in His word. Yes, they will disobey me and God. (I disobey God.) When they become adults they will have to find their own way. Continue on their own to develop their relationship with Jesus. They will be responsible for their choices. But until then, God has given them to me for a time and it is my responsibility to train them and guide them. Give them the "tools" to help them make godly choices. Philippians 4:8 is one of those tools.

In the mean time we are listening to K Love and when the kids ask me to turn it up I will do so, gladly. . .

No comments: