Monday, October 12, 2009

Multigenerational Church

The last two Sundays I have had the pleasure of having the three bigger kids in church with me. Nature Girl doesn't have a choice because there is no children's church. Little Mama just wants to come with us. And now Boop doesn't want to be left out.

Up until two weeks ago, the deal was Boop had to go to his class during service when I am at church by myself (every other Sunday daddy works.) But last week I figured, what the heck. The girls have been doing very well (listening and writing in their journals) so I figured I could handle one more. He was given very specific instructions (to sit relatively still, draw in his prayer journal, listen for the word I give the girls to listen for, etc.) and he has been doing great.

In the beginning of the service when we sing our praise songs he wants me to hold him and I do as I sing and sway to the music. He wraps his legs around me real tight and alternates burying his head in my neck and straining his neck to see what is going on. (Thankfully he hardly weighs anything!)

When we sit down he sits in my lap and only fidgets a little bit. But he takes turns listening, drawing and looking things up in his "bible." (Which is currently an encyclopedia volume - I haven't gotten him his own real one yet.) He smiles and giggles and waves when he sees someone he knows. Yesterday he grabbed my head, turned it practically all the way around to show me the lady we had seen shopping the night before. I smiled and waved at her.

During welcome time, I am trying to teach the kids to look people in the eye, shake their hands and say "good morning" and answer questions. Yesterday, after they welcome, daddy and Boop went to check on EG (who is in the nursery - don't think I can do all four just yet :)

A friend of mine who has always brought all five of his kids into the church service (even when they were babies) told me that even if they hear just one phrase or idea or verse that they have heard at home it's worth it. No, they are not going to understand some of what is being said but they will grasp some little detail. And then it becomes their own. The sufficiency of God's word works that way. No cartoon video. No brightly colored worksheet. No childish language. It all seems to be a great part of a child cultivating his/her own relationship with Christ.

Yesterday there just happened to be a couple of baptisms. I can tell my kids that being baptised after you are saved is what God wants us to do. But to actually see kids and adults stepping out in faith is totally something else. It has a different effect on them (and on me ;).

I have been reading a lot lately about the concepts of a multigenerational church. How it benefits the family and the church family. So many churches take so much time and effort separating out age groups instead of bringing them together. To worship together. As a family that God created. As I read more about it and ponder the benefits, I am glad my family has chosen to worship with me . . .

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Wow, sounds great and sounds like a an article out of my own life right now. I love when my kids sit with me and that listening for a word thing is amazing...they end up catching so much more than just that one word!

Ann said...

Yes, I agree and I stole that idea from you. So thank you!!