Monday, March 8, 2010

The Grocery Store

We went to the grocery store on Saturday morning. All of us. Actually we got there early enough and there was hardly anyone there. I am working on having them help me. Nature Girl will go an aisle or so ahead and get me something I need or go back and get something I forgot.

Little Mama loves to push the cart. Although when it is busy, I usually don't let her for fear of running into someone (or something.) One time I wasn't paying attention and the kids were looking at an end cap of calendars and the next thing I knew the calendars were all over the floor. A lady passing by with three kids of her own just laughed. And offered to help clean up!

We have this great school book Science Lab in a Supermarket so that has helped in keeping the kids occupied. So far we have learned that carrot companies place very small orange lines on their packaging so the carrots look fresher. Little Mama noticed this past Saturday that a package of green beans had the same lines but in green. We have checked for red or pink lighting in the meat department. And then we discussed how the packaging of liquid clothes detergent has shrunk and the detergent has become more "concentrated." Our first experiment tested humidity on bags of chips.

Anyway, Saturday the kids noticed that our grocery store had a new manager. I asked them how they knew that. First, they pointed to the man walking around (which just happened to be the new manager.) Then they showed me his picture on the wall where they have all the managers pictures. Kind of scary that they know the grocery store employees and their positions in management . . .

1 comment:

Diane Moody said...

I wanna join the grocery class! That sounds so interesting! Who knew the tricks of the carrot packaging or lighting in the meat dept?! I LOVE learning that kind of insider info! Your kids must be having a blast doing that.

Put little green lines on my package because I'm green with envy here!