Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Rant

I don't usually watch the news in the morning. I use to be an avid "Today" show watcher. But, not anymore. And now I know why.

Yesterday I was up before the kids and had a few extra minutes while hubby was getting ready for work. So, as I was laying in my bed, drinking my coffee (doesn't that sound wonderful?!) I turned it on.

Majority of the stories were troubling. Not inspiring or feel good pieces whatsoever. But, one in particular got my attention. I should have just turned it off but I didn't. It was a story about two middle school kids from the same school. "Middleschool Madness" was the name of the story. The piece went on to tell about a boy who had gasoline poured on him and set on fire because of a disagreement about a video game. Then, in the same piece there was a story about a girl who had been beaten into a coma because of a text message she sent. These two incidents happened within a five month period of time - AT THE SAME SCHOOL. I was horrified to say the least!

They interviewed the sheriff. He said there it is a "culture of callousness." Kids are desensitized to violence. Of course they interview a shrink and she said "the parents aren't doing their job so someone has to." Duh!! And I am assuming she was promoting some type of school educational program.

I am not going to spend anymore time on this subject. I think the reasons why these types of things happen are pretty obvious. And, I think some of the solutions are pretty darn obvious too. At least to me anyway . . .

No comments: