Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Best Friends

My sister hung out with us this weekend :) If she said it once she said it repeatedly "The girls are best friends." Of course from my perspective I see it just a little different. I hear a few more of the petty squabbles and the tattling etc. But as I laid in bed this morning (been awake since 5:45) I really started to think about it. They are best friends! A friend of mine who I had been talking to about homeschooling when we were in our decision making process told me this story. She had a boy and a girl just a couple years apart. They were very close. When the son started school and the daughter stayed home their sibling relationship suffered. They would argue and bicker when they were together and they were just not as close as when they had been home together all the time. When the summer came it took them an adjustment period but by the end of the summer they were best friends again. So, when they decided to homeschool her oldest son and daughter became and still are the very best of friends. I believe the son now is 18 and the daughter is 16.

So why do I bring this up today? Well, yesterday I am in my favorite room of the house - the school room (surrounded by books, and worksheets and a globe and flashcards :) and I look out the front window where the girls happen to be playing. Nature Girl has Little Mama on the top of our little grassy hill in the front yard and Little Mama is on Nature Girl's bike. Now, Nature Girl's bike does not have training wheels. Here is Nature Girl teaching Little Mama how to ride without training wheels. I just sat and watched. First try Little Mama makes it about 1/4 of the way down the hill. Second try about half way. Then all of a sudden Little Mama is riding Nature Girl's bike! Eventually she falls over. The best part was - Nature Girl runs down the hill and picks Little Mama up and is hugging and jumping with her and smiling and laughing and celebrating the big accomplishment!! It brings tears to my eyes right now just replaying it in my mind. They both come running in to tell me. I hug on Little Mama for such a wonderful accomplishment and wink and smile and mouth the words "Thank you" to Nature Girl for being such a wonderful big sister. Yes, we are blessed to have good friends and I am thankful to God for them but we are doubly blessed to have our best friend as our sister . . .

1 comment:

Diane Moody said...

Brings tears to my eyes. These precious little nuggets of gold that you're discovering by observing your girls - what a beautiful testimony of the benefits of homeschooling!

Keeping you in our prayers as #4's arrival nears - SO excited for you!