Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Squirrel

It was quiet time around the house yesterday. Boop was napping and the girls were playing outside. I was talking with my mom and finishing up some Christmas card orders. All was peaceful. I just had some picking up to do and dinner to make and we would be ready for tumbling. All at once Little Mama comes running in "Sadie has a squirrel, Sadie has a squirrel." Sadie is the next door neighbor's cat that the girls have adopted because there is no way in heck daddy is ever going to let them get one. Anyway, I tell her to chase Sadie out of the yard until the squirrel can get away. About 5 minutes later Nature Girl comes running in "Sadie is attacking the squirrel and it's a baby." So out I run to the front yard to assess the situation. No time to assess. The cat is attacking the baby squirrel. I have to do something. The girls are yelling and everyone is freaking out. Including me. What happened next could have been on America's Funniest Home Video. Not because of what was going on but just watching me trying to get the cat off the squirrel. At 35 weeks pregnant I am not the most nimble or flexible. I am pretty sure I injured a muscle during the rescue. But I digress . . . here is the neighbor's cat viciously attacking this poor defenseless baby squirrel and I was its only hope. I had Nature Girl get me a broom and I tried to chase the cat away. Nothing doing. It was like a scene from Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. This cat was not going to give up. I finally was able to get in between the cat and the squirrel. But the cat just kept stalking it. The girls and I had a perimeter set up around the tree and the squirrel but the squirrel was so terrified it couldn't move and climb back up the tree. I finally called hubby (an expert in theses matters.) He said get the hose. So Little Mama had the hose to spray the cat and Nature Girl had the broom and there we stood for close to an hour protecting that little squirrel. Finally daddy came home and scooped up the squirrel and took it to St. Francis the refuge for wild animals. They said the squirrel would make it and they didn't see any permanent damage. We were all so thankful. Daddy then went and had a nice chat with the neighbor . . .

1 comment:

Katie said...

I can just picture it! Reminds me of the time I had to pry a bird out of my dog's mouth.....