Monday, October 27, 2008

Two and a Half Weeks

and counting. . . . if you took a look around our house you would never know that in about 2 1/2 weeks we will have a new addition to our family. So far we have a couple cute neutral outfits, two packs of diapers, 4 pacifiers, 5 bottles and I think that is about it. No carseat or bassinet yet. No overnight bag packed or clothes washed with that special detergent. Not even real sure where the little bugger is going to sleep. Have I mentioned we have not settled on names? I am not sure what we are waiting for. It is soooo different from the first time around. Yesterday I saw an acquaintance I hadn't seen in awhile and he said "I guess it gets easier the more kids you have." And in a way it does. When you are pregnant for the first time you have nothing better to do, really, except obsess over the fact that you are pregnant. The more kids you have and the more busy you are the less time you have to obsess. Don't get me wrong, I want to obsess but there is always something that needs to be taken care - now. The whole day is filled with things like that. The next thing you know days pass, weeks pass and months pass and you are two and a half weeks away from your due date and most everything still needs to be done. Part of it is you don't worry as much. You learn over the years what you REALLY need and when you REALLY need it. Experience has told me I do need a carseat (should be coming any day now), a couple of sets of newborn clothes (we won't be going anywhere for awhile but I also won't be washing so the basics are fine), diapers (easy enough to get each time I go to the grocery store), a pacifier (speaks for itself) and really that is about it. At least for the first couple of weeks. The rest can be taken care of sometime after the fact - if it is even needed at all. I suppose there will be something major I will forget but it will get taken care - I have faith :) And a lot of good help . . .

3 comments:

Katie said...

Holy cow! Two and a half weeks....I'm so excited!
I was also very slow to get things ready for baby. I think I was in denial.

Ann said...

Denial would be an understatment I think :) Actual terror would be a good word. It has been so long . . .

Unknown said...

I thought your Mom said you might be early; then what?
What happened to all of Cooper's hand-me-downs, since I know it is a baby brother?
I too am very excited for you and hope I get the big news even down here in Arkansas. I've decided I really am a city girl. The only reason it is so cheap to live here, is that there is no place to spend your money. No malls, much less stores!