Saturday, October 18, 2008

Unexpected Plans

Yesterday, oddly enough, we had no where to go and nothing to do. We woke up late, watched Sound of Music, did a few chores and just planned to hang out the whole day. No goals, no plans, no anything. A very alien concept for us. Well, by 11:30 that all changed. In the blink of an eye we were expecting visitors for lunch and then had to be at my brother and sister-in-laws early in the evening for my nephew's birthday party. He turned 15 this week which I still can't believe. I remember the day he was born but that is another story ;)

Our guests for lunch were some of my mom's best friends in the whole wide world. My mother had been very blessed with a handful of really, really wonderful friends. Four of them she has known for 20 years (plus or minus a year or two) They, including my mother, get together once every 9 months or so to get away for the weekend. This time they decided to come here. I met these ladies when I was in my late teens/early twenties. So I was thrilled when they made it a part of their trip to come visit us yesterday for lunch. I enjoy these ladies very much and have had the pleasure to watch their children grow from school age children into adults. So now I think it is kind of cool for them to see me and my children and my family grow. We had a really nice lunch. They spent at least an hour letting my kids entertain them with stuffed animals, ballet routines and VBS songs. Of course, my kids take every opportunity they can to display their talents! We might get to see them again before they leave. But if not, I am glad we were able to take sometime yesterday to visit with some very special friends . . .

2 comments:

Katie said...

I love having company. I especially love the impromptu gatherings, no stress, just the enjoyment of the moment.

Diane Moody said...

WOW! I feel like a rock star!! LOL Actually, your kids were the rock stars!! SUCH TALENT!!! It was sooo much fun!