Monday, October 13, 2008

Politics and Religion

Disclaimer: One of the reasons I started a blog was so I could write down my feelings. I am a religious and political conservative. So, if you read this post please do not be offended. It is just how I feel at the moment ;)

I am a Ron Paul fan. Ask my kids. I am not an intellect. I don't spend hours reading the newspaper, watching FOX news or listening to NPR or any other such outlet for what is going on in the world. I catch headlines here and there and I try to stay current on some topics of interest to me and my family. I don't watch the debates, although I have tried. I get too upset, too emotionally involved and sometimes just plain disgusted. I don't believe in big government. I don't want someone legislating my family or my life. God has given me free will and I like the fact that I can use it. I am not an Obama fan and I am not a McCain fan. McCain has "my core values" but there is a part of my heart that says he knows who his core voting group is so he courts them. I am not happy with the way things are in this country on so many different levels. So, therefore I am in a dilemma. There are those in my circle who say "You have to vote for McCain. If you vote for a third party you are throwing your vote away and Obama will surely win." There are others who say "You need to vote for who truly represents who you are and what you believe in." Then there are some who are not going to vote at all. I definitely don't agree with that. My response so far has been "McCain, least of two evils." Then of course there is the thing with McCain's running mate Sarah Palin. I like her. She is a woman who thinks like I do. We have the same moral compass on most issues but . . . I can not help but wonder how she can do it all. Something has to give. I know what it is like to be a mom and I choose not to work because I know I can not do it all. I know something has to give and I am not willing to do that giving. How can she be a mom with young children and VP?? I also am learning not to judge. If God has truly called her to be McCain's running mate then who am I to say she shouldn't. In the end, just like every other choice we make in this world, it is between us and God. That is who we will answer to in the end. All this to say, I have no idea what I am going to do in November. But, I know I am starting to pray now for God to give me clarity and direction as to what to do with MY vote. I am going to read my bible for some insight and in the end, I know that God is in control of it all anyway. I am just responsible for what I do with me . . . .

4 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Hey Ann! I think you probably know that you and I are on completely opposite ends of the political spectrum BUT I just have to say that I really respect how much thoughtfulness and time you have put into your voting decision. I hope you ultimately find a decision that gives you peace. And you know, opposites attract and make the world so much exciting - which is why we can have such opposite views but still be good friends!! Love you, girl!

Ann said...

Thank you!!! I have always enjoyed your take on things. I think that is what makes life so exciting. It makes me happy that we are able to respect each others views and be good friends. I believe we can learn from each other!! Have a great week. Love ya!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Annie! I'm so glad to have found you on facebook and now your blog! I've got one, too, http://lyn_family.livejournal.com if you want to catch up at least on the last 2 1/2 years of our lives ;-) I've been messaging with Molly and am looking forward to living in the same city with her. Maybe now I'll see you (and Aunt Carol) and get to meet the kids!

In response to your post, I just wanted to say (I must also mention - I'm trying to keep partisan feelings out of this as another person on the opposite end of the political spectrum :-) ) that I always feel you should vote for the person you feel would be the best president. I think half the problem with our system is the dependence on two parties and I'm always willing to consider a third option. That said, I don't think that Sarah Palin's family issues are a reason not to vote for her. She's already made her choice on the family front and she seems to be juggling the Governorship (not to mention the campaign) and her family to her satisfaction.

I can never resist putting my two cents in - hope I didn't over-do!
Love! and hope to see you soon!
Heidi

Ann said...

Hi Heidi! So glad to hear from you!! Molly had mentioned that she had been in touch with you. I think that is sooo exciting. I am sure we will be in ATL quite a bit when Molly moves up there so look forward to meeting your husband and son!! I love and appreciate your two cents. The beauty of it is everyone has opinions and because we are created uniquely it only seems to me that our opinions would be unique ;) Anyway, we could talk about that forever . . . hope all is well and maybe we will see each other soon. Look forward to checking out your blog. Take care Heidi - Love you!! Annie