Thursday, October 2, 2008

Sissy


I have a sister who is 17 years younger than me. When my first baby was born she was only 16 and really didn't want to be called "aunt." She had just gotten her driver's license so I guess I can understand that :) She decided she wanted to be called "Sissy." Given her age difference and the fact that my kids call her "Sissy" I have gotten plenty of stares when we are out in public. But little did I know back then how much she would mean to me in the next 8 years! She is the one I call when the babies are sick and I need something. She is the one I call when hubby and I want to go on a date. She is the one I call when hubby and I (twice in the last 7 years) have gone out of town. If I travel or hubby travels she is the back up. Always available if we needed something. She watches the dog and feeds the fish. She has even cleaned the house when I was pretty sick and tired this past first trimester. She is kind of like a security blanket. The family can go a week or two with out seeing her sometimes. She is very busy and has her own life but it always seems that when she is really needed she has been there for us. She picks up the cakes for the birthday parties. Lately, she has been eating dinner with us at least once a week. She takes the kids shopping and out to lunch. She is on deck when due dates come around. Not only is she our "number one go to girl" for the kids but hubby and I enjoy her company. It is nice to have someone young around. She keeps us in touch - whatever that means!! She and I "text" each other!! She got me hooked on Facebook. She and I have gone to concerts, dinners and movies together. She comes over and watches football with us. She gives me advice on clothes to wear and haircuts to have - sometimes I actually listen :) I have actually worn clothes of hers and always get compliments. I have given her advice and sometimes she has actually listens! She will be graduating soon and I know the day is coming when she will move away and start her own life. I honestly can't think about it. I know I will be lost without her. The kids will be lost without her. How do you replace a security blanket . . . .

1 comment:

Katie said...

Thank God for sisters. Your girls will have each other forever. I know brothers are good too, but I'm a little sad that Leah doesn't have a sister.