Sunday, November 16, 2008

Beautiful Baby Girl































The baby girl took 9 months in the making so don't expect this to be a short post :) I am still in the hospital waiting to be discharged with my beautiful brand new baby girl so I thought might as well get started writing down the events of one of the most memorable days of my life.

November 14, 2008, started at about 3:30AM for me. See previous post :) By 9:00AM I had daddy, Sissy and both grandmas on alert. If after a shower and resting, I still wasn't feeling better I wanted to go to the hospital just to make sure everything was OK. Daddy was at work and it was a wet, busy morning for him so I didn't want to drag him away for nothing. Sissy was at work and I didn't want her to waste what ever leave time she had - ha, ha!! Grandma and CoCo were going to get ready slowly just waiting for me to tell them what was going on. By 10:30, I had decided I wanted to go to the hospital. Things were not really happening fast but they were not slowing down either. But I soooo didn't want to bother anyone until I knew for sure what was going on. CoCo came over. Daddy came home, changed clothes, went potty and did a few other things around the house. I blew my hair dry, folded laundry, figured out who needed to be where and when and I would say by 11 we were on our way to the hospital. All the while Nature Girl kept saying "Mommy I really don't know what is going on." She knew we might be having a baby but she wasn't able to keep up with all my plans as to who was going where etc. :) Up until then I was having painful contractions but not real regular. By the time we got in the truck and were headed to the gas station, 5 minutes away, I had had two pretty painful contractions. A few minutes up the road I had had another one. I was starting to get a little concerned. Have you ever rode 40 weeks pregnant in a lifted up F150 4x4?? Holy Cow is all I can say. Anyway, by the time I was seated in the waiting room at the Women's Pavilion, the contractions started to go away. Go figure. I was starting to feel bad because I had created such a fuss for nothing. A few minutes later they called my name and I went back to triage. They determined I was having real contractions and that I had dilated to 5 cm. So I said "Am I staying?" She asked me "Do you want to stay?" And I said "I guess." So we called our helpers: Grandma, CoCo, Sissy, and Shaunna. We let them know that I was on my way to adding to our already wonderful family!

I was able to lay there in triage and joke around and when they asked me if I wanted an epideral I said "Only as a backup." I really wanted to have a natural birth. After being in triage for about 45 minutes, my water broke and they were working on getting me to a L&D room. I wasn't really thinking about it but my contractions started getting a little bit harder and a little bit more painful. We decided to walk up to my L&D room and I had to stop a couple of times because of the contractions but I still didn't really think about it. I figured given past experience I would be at the hospital for at least 10 hours!
In the L&D room, everyone was taking turns coming in and my contractions were getting progressively more painful. All of a sudden I was in big time pain and opted for the epideral as quickly as possible :) I had to wait 20 minutes because I had to get the IV fluids first. Boop had been in the room and the girls never made it in before I made my mom take him out because I was in sooooo much pain - unbelievable pain, pain I was not ready for. It had come on sooo fast and soooo hard and sooooo strong. While I was waiting for the epideral I begged for an intravenous drug to help me through the pain until they could hook me up with the epideral. Everyone was out of the room except hubby. I was literally writhing in my bed from the pain. (They thought the baby still might be sunnyside up) I tried to focus through it but it was incredible. A minute later I had this very overwhelming desire to push. I screamed "I need to push." There was no one there except hubby - no nurse, no midwife - just hubby, who still thinks daddy's should be in the waiting room smoking cigars!!

I am pushing and he ran out to get the nurse. I had dilated from 5cm to 10cm in 20 minutes. She runs in and starts suiting up and I am screaming where are my drugs. The nurse informs me "You are too late for that." "What?!?!" I scream as I am bearing down with just the nurse in front of me. She yells to hubby "Run out in the hall and get all the nurses." She is gloving up and I ask her "What are you doing?!?!" "And she informs me she is delivering a baby." I say "What, no, I didn't get my drugs. Where's Jane (the midwife)?" Nurse yells to hubby "Go out and tell them to get Jane!" Oh my! I am fixing to deliver my baby with a nurse and my hubby. I freaked out (actually I had been freaking out the entire time!!) I started to push even more and Jane finally got there and suited up. I begged, I pushed, I screamed, I panicked, I pushed, I pleaded, I cried, I screamed, I threatened, I pushed, I made idle threats and crazy promises. I wanted to quit but I couldn't my body literally wouldn't let me. I wanted to give up but my body would take over. Everyone was cheering for me and encouraging me - easy for them to do. I said all kinds of crazy things. When I was suppose to be holding my breath and pushing I was screaming "please pray", "pray", "pray." Jane finally told me "No screaming, just breath and push." I complied. It was about 40 minutes until I finally was able to calm down and focus and get the hang of the pushing. I could tell the difference. I was in the zone. 5-10 minutes later baby C was born!!!

Now all this time we were all convinced it was a boy. I really just assumed. I can't tell you why. So as the baby was coming out, the midwife turned the baby up so that we could all see at once what it was. "It's a girl . . . . " we all said in unison. Like a whole room of disbelief - not mad, sad, bad just shocked. Then all at once it was utter joy!!! A BABY GIRL - a beautiful, healthy baby girl -Elizabeth Ann, 7lbs 8oz, 19 1/2 inches.

Well, today is Monday and we have been home for almost 24 hours. So far so good . . .

3 comments:

Katie said...

Yay!!! What a wonderful story. What an absolutely gorgeous daughter you have. I want to hug her and smell her :) God has blessed you.
I am so very happy for you and your family. Thank you for all the lovely pictures and what an amazing birth story. How strong and brave you are!
I love her name! It's beautiful. I hope you are feeling well (all things considered) and you and Elizabeth are enjoying being at home.
My best to you and your family.
p.s. Don't you just feel like she's such a bonus? Being a girl and all when you were convinced it was a boy? That's how I felt when Luke was born. I had spent most of my pregnancy imagining that he was a girl that when I found out he was a boy I was just overwhelmingly happy because I wasn't expecting him and here he was, a complete, wonderful bonus.
I'll think of you in the middle of the night today when I am inevitably up with Luke!

Janet said...

Oh Ann!! What a wonderful, hilarious birth story. What an amazing, beautiful little girl you have. She has a beautiful name and such a wonderful family!
Love to you--
Janet

Diane Moody said...

Oh my goodness! I popped on your blog here, not really expecting to find an update yet - and VOILA! What a WONDERFUL post! I feel like I was right there with you through it all! I'm sooooo thankful to God for helping you through such an ordeal and bringing your precious little girl so safely into this world. She is GORGEOUS!! And oh my - such proud sisters and brother!!! Annie, thank you so much for taking the time to share this amazing story with us. GOD BLESS all of you - and the whole back-up team of grandmas & Sissy - as you start this newest chapter in your lives. I LOVE YOU GUYS!!