Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day

I went ahead and voted on Saturday. Hubby was home to watch the kids and honestly I didn't really want to stand in line on Tuesday with a 7, 5, and 3 yo being 38 weeks pregnant. Although I would like to think that fellow voters would have had sympathy for me and moved me to the front of the line :) As it was I stood in line for an hour and a half. But what a privilege it was! In front of me was an Asian couple; a single, older white male; two guys who were friends; and a married female named Stephanie who is now my new best friend :) Behind me was a single, college age black guy; three black women (I believe they were all related) and an older white couple. All that to say, what a diverse group all in one spot. Oh, I know we all had our own agenda but for an hour and a half we got to know each other. Stephanie has a dog and she and her husband each have a beetle bug car. (My girls thought that was way cool.) She is originally from NY and South Florida but has lived in a couple different states. She has a sister who lives in CO. I thought THAT was way cool! The two guys in front of her had to do the office Christmas shopping last year and bought coupons for Krispy Kreme. The guy behind me was waiting on his friend to show up and once he did they talked nonstop about what they had done the night before. I had brought my book with every intention of spending my time reading. But it was just too hard. There were people to watch and talk to. Things to learn, things to share. How often do we talk to people outside our circle?? It was one of the fastest hour and a halves I have ever spent. By the time we got to the polling area I was ready to vote, to do my civic duty with pride. I couldn't help but think at that very moment how truly blessed we all are no matter who we voted for. We live in a country where we have freedom to express our opinions and vote the way each of us wants to. As a writer to our local newspaper put it "there is no voter apathy this election year." And no matter what, that is a good thing!! I saw all ages, all religions, all races standing in line together to do their part. As I walked out, I couldn't help but be a proud American . . .

No comments: