Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Honestly Speaking

This is hard! I guess God has us forget how challenging having a newborn in the house can be. Hard, but wonderful. My first baby was a challenge for so many different reasons. The second and the third fit right into the family function. I just assumed baby number four would be a breeze. Actually I have assumed a lot of things about baby number four and so far I am 0 for about 5 :) Anyway, she has been a challenge. She doesn't want to nurse. She is hungry and she knows how but when the time comes she flips. She gets mad and frustrated. We are working on a plan to help her relax and think of feeding time as pleasant. They call it breast or nipple aversion (had never heard of that one before.) For some odd reason between Friday and Saturday she developed this little thing. It is not easy to over come. I have to trick her into latching on by using a syringe filled with breastmilk or formula. Try that at three in the morning!! Once she is tricked she usually does pretty well but it is a real chore to get her "hooked." Honestly other than that she has been a dream. She has those newborn faces that just warm my heart!! Makes it all worth while . . .

2 comments:

Katie said...

The word 'overwhelmed' became a regular part of my vocabulary when my fourth came along.
I have heard of nipple aversion, some mothers have success with a nipple shield, a plastic thing that looks kind of like a bottle nipple.
Sounds like you have a great attitude and determination. You are doing great, I am proud of you.

Diane Moody said...

Goodness! Never heard of this "aversion" before, but then it's been a years since I had babies, y'know? Count on my prayers, okay? But it sounds like you're handling it as well as you can. Loved hearing about those precious newborn faces. Is there anything more beautiful?