Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I HATE the Dentist!!!

I was going to tell about the wonderful, fun filled day we had yesterday. I was going to write about how our Alabama friends stayed Monday night and we got to hang with them for a little bit yesterday morning. I was going to say how we ran errands in the afternoon and got some things accomplished. And how we baked cookies for daddy and brought them to his detail last night. After that we went for a walk around a lake and climbed the wonderful tree.

BUT, the dentist ruined all of that! I have given birth four times. Once without an epidural and I would rather do that any day of the week then go to the dentist. (Sure, when you give birth you get a wonderful baby and at the end of the dentist you just have to pay the bill :) At any rate, the hygienist said "You really don't like getting your teeth cleaned." I guess she saw the look of anguish on my face. My toes curled up and my fist clenched. She put this thing in my mouth that was suppose to clean the plaque off. It was a sonic thing and the sound was soooo horrible it made my head scream with pain. I had to ask her to stop and just do it by hand. I think she was annoyed by this because she proceed to pull and yank on my mouth to get to all the teeth. Right now my head and neck are killing me from the tension.

I have hated the dentist since I was a child. I had one dentist that when I cried he poked me in the chest with his finger and told me I couldn't. Another dentist gave me laughing gas (or whatever) and all I remember is thinking I was in a race car the whole time he was working on my teeth. My teeth are horrible. Soft, creviced and easily filled with cavities. I have tried so hard most of my adult life to minimize any more damage but most of the damage has been done and now it just has to be fixed. Because of this, I am pretty strict about the kids brushing their teeth. It is rare that they don't do it. Honestly though I have transferred a lot of the responsibility to them because I can't sit with them each morning and each night to make sure they are doing it right. But, I do show them what my mouth looks like and what they need to do to prevent it.

So, to add insult to injury I need some major work done (so does hubby.) Anyway, I asked if there was a discount if I had a couple procedures done at once. He said "Sure." If I wanted to do all 28 at once. Like thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars. I explained that hubby needed extensive work done, I was a stay at home mom with four children and that wasn't going to happen. He seemed annoyed and then walked behind me and wouldn't even carry on the conversation face to face. As to say "If you don't take your teeth seriously then I am not going to talk with you about it." It seemed like in his mind it was all or nothing. There didn't seem to be a middle ground worth discussing with him.

In a hormonal hissy fit about my bill four years ago, I left my other dentist that I really liked. So, I really don't want to change dentists again. I know, my choice so I can't complain. But, I honestly really hate the dentist for so many more reasons . . . .

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

We just found a wonderful dentist if you want to try ours...I really like the staff too!

Katie said...

I think you should totally change dentists.
I finally found one that I really like because, like you, I HATE the dentist. Hate him. So I told my new dentist that and he's cool with being hated.