Thursday, September 24, 2009

Meals on Wheels (MOW)

The last time we did MOW was about 2/3 weeks ago. I thought just because we had a route the day we volunteered that that route was available for "adoption." So when I called the lady to let her know we would be back the following week I was a little disappointed to find out that we were just filling in for someone that day. And, that the only route available was in a neighborhood that daddy was not comfortable with us delivering in. I was bummed and so were the kids. The coordinator said she would make a note on our card about what side of town was good for us and what we were comfortable doing. And if something came available she would call. I figured that was just going to have to do. In the meantime I tried to think of other service projects we could do as a family.

Well, two days ago I got a call. They needed a MOW volunteer for today!! I check with my mother-in-law and she was available so this morning off we went to deliver food. The kids wanted the same route we had last time but I told them it would be different. Once again I was a little nervous but knew God would work it out. And once again, it was perfect! This time the route was a little further from our house but still in areas I was familiar with.

One of the things the kids love to do is figure out how old everyone is. They love to know who is the oldest and who is the youngest. We make it a point to know every one's name. And the kids help look for the streets and house numbers. The kids even remember names and roads from last time! NG just told me that she and LM played "Meals on Wheels" during rest time the last time we went!

This time I had Little Mama and Nature Girl help me. At one house LM would help me bring the meal to the door. At the following house I let NG help. They both commented on how nice the people were. (Not sure what they were expecting.) Boop was disappointed that he didn't get to help but I told him next time it would be his turn first. Once again the people were very kind and very appreciative. At each house I asked if there was anything I could help with but everyone was doing fine.

We go again next Thursday. Maybe sometime in the future the perfect route will open up for us to do permanently. Until then we will just wait for the coordinator to call us and fill in when necessary . . . .

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

Great job Connell Crew! I know they appreciate it so much!!!

Diane Moody said...

Waaaaaay behind on all things Connell, but loved reading about this project! You guys are AMAZING!!

Ann said...

Can't imagine WHY you are behind - ha, ha! Thought about you guys all last weekend. Molly sent me some pix. Hannah looked so beautiful!