Saturday, September 5, 2009

Thanksgiving

And I don't mean the holiday. Although I am sure it will be here before I know it! Anyway, I am talking about the word. As I try to balance my many hats I have found a word that if I just remember to say it, it brings a smile to my face and heart. (Granted the trick is to say it when I am truly frazzled.) I am reading a book on how to be a better wife and the woman who wrote the book keys in on being joyful. And the only way to be truly be joyful, the kind in your heart not just a smile on your face, is to be thankful. Not just thankful in the easy things but in ALL things.

In a house that by 9:00 AM on any given day, by a person who feels pulled in 800 different directions (that's me and I am exaggerating ;) and has an ever increasing "To Do" list that never gets shorter just longer it can be very, very hard to do. But, in the last couple of days, when I feel the tension building I have started muttering "thankful, be thankful" and I immediately smile and I feel a lightness in my heart. This is all biblical and I know that I can't make myself be thankful all the time. Only God can do it permanently but just by uttering those words I am giving Him an in to my heart.

Anyway, the author also says make a list of things that I am thankful for and here they are:

a Savior and the Word of God
a husband who loves me for who I am (plus he goes to the grocery store and loves to cook)
a father who is great with his kids (and is willing to work doubly hard so I don't have to)
kids who really are wonderful (and healthy and happy)
lots of family that cares
great friends who are very supportive
I live in a state and county that are friendly to homeschooling
a great homeschooling community that understands the sacrifices and blessings of this awesome and daunting responsibility

I suppose if I had a ton of time I could go on and on (just like my To Do list). But, if I want to make any headway I need to get going. But, I am thankful it is a beautiful day, that I am home with my kids and we have a birthday party to go to for a very good friend. Thankful, thankful, thankful . . .

No comments: