Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Coupon Craziness

I have entered the world of coupon clipping. As with all things new and time consuming, I resisted. I would go to the grocery store with my $1.10 worth of coupons and be satisfied with that. Now, because of all the hype, hubby found out. And he wants me to start clipping coupons as a serious part of my job. :) (Of course he is more than willing to help!) Last week was our first real endeavor into the land of coupons and B1G1. We went through the grocery flyer together and got on one of the many helpful websites. It really is a whole new way of thinking and buying groceries. It took us a huge amount of time. But every one I have talked with says once we get a system in place it gets easier. Things that I have learned: clip every coupon because you just never know; B1G1 with coupons only, unless it is something I need immediately; to some degree eat for the week what is on sale; kids eat food that is on sale ex: cereal for breakfast and ravioli for lunch; and try to find coupons for things we have to buy.

One thing I know we won't be doing is going from store to store to get deals. I am very thankful for the fact that daddy is willing do the shopping and I know he doesn't want to run all over. And when I go, I always have all the kids so I know I am not going to make multiple stops. So, we may not get all the benefits but we do see some savings.

This is our second week and we have saved about $100. Not bad. I find myself getting excited about the grocery store flyer in Thursday's newspaper. (Until last week didn't even know what day of the week it came on :) It is like a challenge, a game, something I can work on and make progress. Something that I do that is measurable! So, bring on the scissors and the savings . . .

No comments: