Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Potty Training

I have learned to have a very laid back approach to potty training. With my first child, I was bent on having her trained by the time baby number 2 came along. That meant before the age of two. She was just not ready and after the baby was born, she ended back in diapers until she was ready (probably closer to three.) She slept in a diaper at night for a very long time.

Baby girl number two was ready to be trained at an earlier age. I want to say it was just a couple months after she turned two. She was ready and wanted to do it. And it was pretty easy. About that time I was pregnant with Boop and we had moved the girls into one room. Little Mama, once she moved into a big girl bed, wanted to wear underwear to bed! I hesitated at first. (Nature Girl was still in a diaper at night!) But Little Mama was adamant. She wanted big girl underwear. Fine I said. We will give it a try. And sure enough, from about the age of 2 1/2 Little Mama was totally potty trained. Well, if Little Mama could wear underwear to bed, Nature Girl figured it was about time she did too. NG was basically diaper free at that point as well.

Next came Boop. Because he is a boy and everyone told me they were harder to train, I wasn't even thinking about potty training until well after two. But, a couple months after his second birthday, right around Christmas time, he told me he wanted underwear! I tried and tried to dissuade him. The holidays are hectic enough without having to watch over a potty training boy. Finally, I gave in because he was so determined. To me there is nothing cuter than a baby boy pair of "tighty whities." And let me tell you, they were not easy to find. It took me many stores to finally find regular boys underwear in 2T (not the thick training type.) He had a couple of accidents and there were a few struggles but he got it, eventually. I always hold off on the night time training. I like my sleep and don't want to be bothered so they get diapers until it is very, very apparent that they aren't needed anymore.

So, that is what I am leading to. After many days and weeks of Boop pleading to wear underwear to bed, I finally gave in last night. He was sooooo excited to wear underwear. He was jumping up and down and smiling. Such a happy boy! I told him what he was to do if he woke up and had to go potty. I told the girls, if they heard him to help him. And then, honestly, I forgot all about it until this morning. And he was dry as could be!! I am sure there will be an accident or two and that is OK. Potty training just has not been a struggle for us. Thank goodness!

Now, I do understand I have one more to go. And I am in no rush for that either. It will happen when she is ready and I am sure it will work out fine. The others have. And as I have heard and said before, "It's not like they will go to high school in diapers" . . .

1 comment:

Katie said...

I feel the same way, take it nice and slow and definitely let my child take the lead.

Here's what I wrote in my blog today:

Luke, actually, has been very interested in the potty lately. Every time he toots he shouts "potty!" and I humor him by taking his diaper off and putting him on the potty where we sit until he says "done!".
Now, I know that he's just having fun and nothing will come of it. But today after he/we did that, he went running off (bare butt) into a corner and pooped on the carpet.
And then I stepped in it.
Diaper back ON.